High school notebook: Postseason awards rolling in for Blackhawk's McKay
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The postseason honors are already starting to come in for Blackhawk junior pitching sensation Brendan McKay.
Tuesday, the left-hander was named the Gatorade Pennsylvania Player of the Year after he posted a 7-0 record this season with a 0.13 ERA and 101 strikeouts in 53 innings. The two-time all-state selection also hit .440 with three home runs and seven RBI for the Cougars (11-7), who lost to Hopewell in the WPIAL Class AAA quarterfinals.
McKay also was recognized Tuesday by the WPIAL Baseball Coaches Association as the Class AAA Pitcher of the Year. The organization announced its player, pitcher and coaches of the year for all classifications.
Joining McKay for pitcher of the year honors were Penn-Trafford's Tyler Smith (Class AAAA), Laurel's Brandon Ritchie (AA) and Riverview's Anthony Malky (A).
The players of the year are Franklin Regional's Danny McGrath (AAAA), South Park's Nick Yobbi (AAA), Beaver's Ben Herstine (AA) and OLSH'S Preston Falascino (A). Canon-McMillan's Frank Zebrasky (AAAA), South Park's Steve Bucci (AAA), Washington's Rocky Plassio (AA) and Western Beaver's Chad Miller (A) are the WBCA's coaches of the year.
They will be recognized at a banquet June 10 at the Airport Marriott. The weekend also includes an underclassmen showcase June 8 at Burkett Field in Robinson and an all-star doubleheader featuring 80 of the area's top senior players June 9 at Burkett.
Tuesday's four WPIAL softball consolation games were postponed to Wednesday at the same sites and times.
West Greene hired Paul Kreuzer as its new football coach last week. Kreuzer has spent time on staffs at West Greene and Waynesburg. He replaces John Coss, who resigned in March.
• Chartiers Valley hired Ashley Battle on Tuesday to coach its girls basketball team. Battle helped the UConn women win national championships from 2002-04 and was named the Big East Defensive Player of the Year in 2003. She played in the WNBA for the Seattle Storm, New York Liberty and San Antonio Silver Stars.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum triumphs in meeting of section leaders
- FR falls to Plum in Section 4 diamond clash
- Daily News roundup: West Mifflin stays unbeaten
- Jayhawks in 4th place entering this week
- Cal Area lowers boom on Jeff-Morgan
- Pitchers lead Chartiers Valley baseball to success
- BVA comes back for big 4-AAA win
- Connellsville baseball clips Penn-Trafford
- Weather has hampered Apollo-Ridge baseball team’s progress
- Riverview baseball team hits stride after slow start
- Daily News roundup: Bayus’ no-hitter sparks Steel Valley