Shady Side Academy baseball team makes dramatic entrance to PIAAs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy baseball team has the market cornered on walk-off victories this season.
They did it again on May 28 and this was no doubt the biggest one of the season.
The Indians defeated Deer Lakes in the WPIAL Class AA consolation game, 7-6, and advanced to the PIAA playoffs.
SSA bounced back from a 5-2 deficit after four innings with a four-run fifth and, after the Lancers tied it at six, scored in the bottom of the seventh to claim the victory.
“This team has battled back all year,” acting SSA coach John Cappa said. “We've had a few other walk-off wins. These guys just never give up.”
Winning pitcher Paul McCullough, who belted a two-run triple to tie the game, agreed.
“We've been in this position before,” McCullough said. “We just keep fighting back. We have confidence in each other.”
Jake Kleindl led off the bottom of the seventh with a double and advanced to third on a single by Evan Eisner.
He then scored the game-winner on a sacrifice fly.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- More than BV Area’s uniforms will be green
- Connellsville baseball wins W.Pa. opener after Southern trip
- Connellsville baseball team confident it will soar this season
- Ligonier Rams baseball team aims for consistency
- Southmoreland baseball enters season in realigned section
- Reigning WPIAL champ Steel Valley baseball team focused on fundamentals
- Penn Hills baseball has high hopes on diamond
- New faces looking to make impact with Norwin baseball
- Ringgold baseball finally has veteran group