Shady Side Academy baseball team makes dramatic entrance to PIAAs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy baseball team has the market cornered on walk-off victories this season.
They did it again on May 28 and this was no doubt the biggest one of the season.
The Indians defeated Deer Lakes in the WPIAL Class AA consolation game, 7-6, and advanced to the PIAA playoffs.
SSA bounced back from a 5-2 deficit after four innings with a four-run fifth and, after the Lancers tied it at six, scored in the bottom of the seventh to claim the victory.
“This team has battled back all year,” acting SSA coach John Cappa said. “We've had a few other walk-off wins. These guys just never give up.”
Winning pitcher Paul McCullough, who belted a two-run triple to tie the game, agreed.
“We've been in this position before,” McCullough said. “We just keep fighting back. We have confidence in each other.”
Jake Kleindl led off the bottom of the seventh with a double and advanced to third on a single by Evan Eisner.
He then scored the game-winner on a sacrifice fly.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates must weigh risk, reward in attempt to sign Martin
- Real estate notes: Hotel going up in Chippewa; CSX honored
- Robinson: Rooney retains North Side roots
- Experience ‘Faces and Voices’
- Penguins rebound with shutout of Predators
- Starkey: Chryst missed his only shot
- Pa. Supreme Court in ‘sad state’ as scandals tarnish reputation
- Butler County Historical Society acquires 1928 Austin C Cab Van
- Penn State succumbs to No. 13 Ohio State in double overtime
- CDC’s misinformation spreads faster than Ebola virus
- Georgia Tech runs all over mistake-prone Pitt