Shady Side Academy baseball team makes dramatic entrance to PIAAs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy baseball team has the market cornered on walk-off victories this season.
They did it again on May 28 and this was no doubt the biggest one of the season.
The Indians defeated Deer Lakes in the WPIAL Class AA consolation game, 7-6, and advanced to the PIAA playoffs.
SSA bounced back from a 5-2 deficit after four innings with a four-run fifth and, after the Lancers tied it at six, scored in the bottom of the seventh to claim the victory.
“This team has battled back all year,” acting SSA coach John Cappa said. “We've had a few other walk-off wins. These guys just never give up.”
Winning pitcher Paul McCullough, who belted a two-run triple to tie the game, agreed.
“We've been in this position before,” McCullough said. “We just keep fighting back. We have confidence in each other.”
Jake Kleindl led off the bottom of the seventh with a double and advanced to third on a single by Evan Eisner.
He then scored the game-winner on a sacrifice fly.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Stupid Steelers
- Steelers running backs Bell, Blount will face drug charges
- West Mifflin loses KaBOOM! playground bid
- West Mifflin may demolish fire-damaged home
- Lincoln amends its seismic testing laws
- Monessen man faces another trial
- Chase suspect faces trial, other woes
- It’s only exhibition, but these Steelers could solidify roster spots vs. Eagles
- Area school districts set to begin new year
- Young man with a gift
- Braves’ error, Sanchez’s sacrifice fly in 9th help Pirates snap long skid