Shady Side Academy baseball team makes dramatic entrance to PIAAs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy baseball team has the market cornered on walk-off victories this season.
They did it again on May 28 and this was no doubt the biggest one of the season.
The Indians defeated Deer Lakes in the WPIAL Class AA consolation game, 7-6, and advanced to the PIAA playoffs.
SSA bounced back from a 5-2 deficit after four innings with a four-run fifth and, after the Lancers tied it at six, scored in the bottom of the seventh to claim the victory.
“This team has battled back all year,” acting SSA coach John Cappa said. “We've had a few other walk-off wins. These guys just never give up.”
Winning pitcher Paul McCullough, who belted a two-run triple to tie the game, agreed.
“We've been in this position before,” McCullough said. “We just keep fighting back. We have confidence in each other.”
Jake Kleindl led off the bottom of the seventh with a double and advanced to third on a single by Evan Eisner.
He then scored the game-winner on a sacrifice fly.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sestak kicks off U.S. Senate campaign — with a couple missteps
- Court rules Steelers must pay Okobi workers comp
- 11 Ligonier Township residents rescued by boat from floodwaters
- Police: Suspect in 1970 cold case homicide of 17-year-old dies days before charges filed
- Westmoreland historical society holding antiques appraisal
- Export steel pipe supplier announces new jobs
- Owner of Strip District nightclub Ivy agrees to close after shooting
- PennDOT alerts drivers to numerous road closures due to flooding, debris
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Top Senate Republican to states: Ignore EPA carbon rules