Shady Side Academy baseball team makes dramatic entrance to PIAAs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy baseball team has the market cornered on walk-off victories this season.
They did it again on May 28 and this was no doubt the biggest one of the season.
The Indians defeated Deer Lakes in the WPIAL Class AA consolation game, 7-6, and advanced to the PIAA playoffs.
SSA bounced back from a 5-2 deficit after four innings with a four-run fifth and, after the Lancers tied it at six, scored in the bottom of the seventh to claim the victory.
“This team has battled back all year,” acting SSA coach John Cappa said. “We've had a few other walk-off wins. These guys just never give up.”
Winning pitcher Paul McCullough, who belted a two-run triple to tie the game, agreed.
“We've been in this position before,” McCullough said. “We just keep fighting back. We have confidence in each other.”
Jake Kleindl led off the bottom of the seventh with a double and advanced to third on a single by Evan Eisner.
He then scored the game-winner on a sacrifice fly.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh City Council President officially cited for dumping trash on steps of South Side business
- Woman dead in three-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Richland man sues over injuries suffered as bystander to police chase
- Rape charges dropped against NY man, statute of limitations expired
- Duquesne Light workers find decomposing body
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Monday - Oct. 20, 2014
- Penguins send down pair, Bortuzzo practices
- Man accused of sexual contact with teen in Indiana County
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- County investigators determine fatal McKeesport fire started in living room