Shady Side Academy baseball team makes dramatic entrance to PIAAs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy baseball team has the market cornered on walk-off victories this season.
They did it again on May 28 and this was no doubt the biggest one of the season.
The Indians defeated Deer Lakes in the WPIAL Class AA consolation game, 7-6, and advanced to the PIAA playoffs.
SSA bounced back from a 5-2 deficit after four innings with a four-run fifth and, after the Lancers tied it at six, scored in the bottom of the seventh to claim the victory.
“This team has battled back all year,” acting SSA coach John Cappa said. “We've had a few other walk-off wins. These guys just never give up.”
Winning pitcher Paul McCullough, who belted a two-run triple to tie the game, agreed.
“We've been in this position before,” McCullough said. “We just keep fighting back. We have confidence in each other.”
Jake Kleindl led off the bottom of the seventh with a double and advanced to third on a single by Evan Eisner.
He then scored the game-winner on a sacrifice fly.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Renowned strength coach set to visit Kittanning
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Steelers-Bengals game to start at 8:30 p.m.
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office
- EPA says it won’t regulate coal ash as hazardous waste
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- New York farmers lament lost opportunity for natural gas riches with fracking ban
- Groom cited at Farmington wedding reception being filmed for reality TV show
- Fatal fire under investigation in New Castle