Rain pushes California to noon start on Friday
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Inclement weather forced the postponement of all PIAA baseball and softball playoff games scheduled for Thursday, moving them all to Friday.
That includes the Class A quarterfinal game between California (19-5) and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (20-3), which was scheduled for 4 p.m. Thursday at Upper St. Clair.
Instead, California and OLSH will meet at noon Friday at Fox Chapel in the first game of a doubleheader. The 2 p.m. contest will pit Shady Side Academy (16-8) against Quaker Valley (22-1) in a AA quarterfinal at 2 p.m.
WPIAL Executive Director Tim O'Malley said that if the heavy rain continues through Friday and the need arises to postpone again, the games would be moved to Saturday.
“We're looking for fields with artificial surface (for Friday) that we can use. It's not easy, but that's what we are doing,” O'Malley said Thursday. “If the rain (on Friday) is intermittent or a drizzle and the field conditions are not adverse, then we will play in the rain.
“And if we can't play Friday, we will move to Saturday. That's not (a WPIAL decision), its the PIAA. The PIAA semifinals are scheduled for Monday.”
O'Malley said that the original plan was to have California-OLSH be the second game of a doubleheader at Fox Chapel Friday at 1 p.m. with Shady Side Academy-Quaker Valley going at 11 a.m. However, Shady Side Academy has commencement ceremonies set for 9 a.m. Friday.
“So we decided to put them at 2 p.m. and California's game at noon,” O'Malley said.
The Trojans and Chargers are meeting in a rematch of the WPIAL semifinal game in which OLSH won, 2-1, by scoring two unearned runs.
Here are directions to Fox Chapel: Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike west to Exit 48 (PA-28/New Kensington/Pittsburgh) and merge on to Freeport Road. Turn right on Powers Run Road and go for a mile and make a left on to Field Club Road. Take the first right to stay on Field Club Road and the school is on the right and the baseball field is behind the school near the tennis courts.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State mens basketball wins fourth in a row, improves to 6-1
- Disney TV Animation going strong after 30 years
- Homework: Gifts and Greens Market is Dec. 4-6
- Homes for the holiday: Christmas house tours abound
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- Gazing at the grass in winter is a vision in grace
- National Portrait Gallery asks public to vote for art
- Ryan says journalism, fiction ways to tell story
- Ray Rice wins appeal, suspension vacated, can return to NFL
- Book details Steelers’ history in black and white
- Icy roads cause accidents, slow traffic across Western Pa.