Rain pushes California to noon start on Friday
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Inclement weather forced the postponement of all PIAA baseball and softball playoff games scheduled for Thursday, moving them all to Friday.
That includes the Class A quarterfinal game between California (19-5) and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (20-3), which was scheduled for 4 p.m. Thursday at Upper St. Clair.
Instead, California and OLSH will meet at noon Friday at Fox Chapel in the first game of a doubleheader. The 2 p.m. contest will pit Shady Side Academy (16-8) against Quaker Valley (22-1) in a AA quarterfinal at 2 p.m.
WPIAL Executive Director Tim O'Malley said that if the heavy rain continues through Friday and the need arises to postpone again, the games would be moved to Saturday.
“We're looking for fields with artificial surface (for Friday) that we can use. It's not easy, but that's what we are doing,” O'Malley said Thursday. “If the rain (on Friday) is intermittent or a drizzle and the field conditions are not adverse, then we will play in the rain.
“And if we can't play Friday, we will move to Saturday. That's not (a WPIAL decision), its the PIAA. The PIAA semifinals are scheduled for Monday.”
O'Malley said that the original plan was to have California-OLSH be the second game of a doubleheader at Fox Chapel Friday at 1 p.m. with Shady Side Academy-Quaker Valley going at 11 a.m. However, Shady Side Academy has commencement ceremonies set for 9 a.m. Friday.
“So we decided to put them at 2 p.m. and California's game at noon,” O'Malley said.
The Trojans and Chargers are meeting in a rematch of the WPIAL semifinal game in which OLSH won, 2-1, by scoring two unearned runs.
Here are directions to Fox Chapel: Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike west to Exit 48 (PA-28/New Kensington/Pittsburgh) and merge on to Freeport Road. Turn right on Powers Run Road and go for a mile and make a left on to Field Club Road. Take the first right to stay on Field Club Road and the school is on the right and the baseball field is behind the school near the tennis courts.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell gets suspension, fine reduced
- Penguins trade Sutter to Canucks, sign free agent center Fehr
- 5 face trial in beating of black man in Pittsburgh
- Pitt’s Blair faces court date on DUI charge
- Woman charged with assulting cops in wild Strip District dispute
- Pittsburgh man jailed on theft, assault and drug charges
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Brady’s suspension upheld by Goodell
- Inside the Steelers: Ventrone suffers right ankle injury
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Rising East Liberty out of reach for Pittsburgh’s poor