High school notebook: Cathell inducted into Hall of Fame
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Garry Cathell, who coached football at several schools in the WPIAL, was chosen along with four others for Hall of Fame induction by the Pennsylvania Scholastic Football Coaches Association. Windber's Phil DeMarco, Delone Catholic's Denny Frew, Dallas' Ted Jackson and Clearfield's Tim Janocko also were honored Saturday at the Big 33 Football Classic in Hershey.
Cathell, who coached at Peters Township, Butler and Elizabeth Forward, has been an active member of the PSFCA and his work with the organization has drawn praise. As a coach, the Clairton native compiled a 107-131-4 record. He holds the position of executive manager in the PSFCA and has been an organizer of the Pennsylvania East/West All-Star Game.
DeMarco, who coached Windber from 1985-2010, had a 192-95-5 record and won five District 5 titles. His teams won 49 consecutive games in 1997-2003. Frew coached Delone Catholic from 1979-2006. He won six District 3 titles and compiled a 220-101-3 record.
Jackson, who coached 27 seasons at Dallas through 2011, won the PIAA Class AA title in 1993. His career record was 231-76-3.
Janocko, who has coached Clearfield since 1985, has a 216-97-3 record along with 10 titles in District 9.
Christopher Besser, an Upper St. Clair graduate, and North Allegheny grad Cody Piper were awarded $1,000 academic scholarships by the Big 33 Scholarship Foundation with funding from the PNC Foundation. The scholarships were awarded based on overall academic excellence, community service, leadership ability and community involvement.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Pitt plays best game of the season; routs Kansas State
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Fewer adults smoking, U.S. survey finds
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- PIT wants non-passengers allowed past security to shop
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Trib kicks off annual effort to help feed families for Christmas
- Liberal Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg has stent placed in heart artery