PIAA championship roundup: West York repeats as Class AAA baseball champ
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Winning was twice as nice for members of the West York baseball team Friday as they successfully defended their PIAA Class AAA title with a 2-1 victory over Upper Moreland (21-5) at Penn State's Medlar Field at Lubrano Park.
Brandon Kinneman allowed four hits in five innings to earn the win, and Carson Fries picked up the save for the Bulldogs (21-8), who scored two runs in the second inning on a pair of singles, an error and a suicide squeeze.
Chase James had an RBI single and scored, and Brandon Rauhauser executed the squeeze for the eventual winning run for the District 3 third-place team.
North Penn 6, Lower Dauphin 5 (9 inn.) — Bobby Scott singled to left to score the winning run in the bottom of the ninth as District 1 fourth-place finisher North Penn won the PIAA Class AAAA title at Penn State's Medlar Field at Lubrano Park.
Lower Dauphin's Kaylor Kulina singled in the top of the seventh to tie the game at five and then came on in relief in the bottom of the inning with two runners on, getting two strikeouts to end the threat and send the game into extra innings.
He was dealt the loss after allowing the game-winning hit in the ninth.
North Penn, which also won the 2009 title, finished the season 17-10. District 3 champion Lower Dauphin ended 22-6-1.
Johnsonburg 5, Canton 0 — Cole Peterson threw a complete-game three-hitter with six strikeouts to improve to 10-0, as District 9 runner-up Johnsonburg (19-3) won the PIAA Class A title at Penn State's Medlar Field at Lubrano Park.
Garrett Wesneski took the loss for District 4 champ Canton (23-3), which was making its first trip to the PIAA tournament.
Valley View 5, Fort LeBoeuf 0 — The Cougars scored four runs in the first inning, and Gina Chieffallo struck out 10 batters, as Valley View (20-0) was victorious in the PIAA Class AAA championship game at Penn-State's Beard Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Key games on docket as regular season winds down
- Kittanning baseball eyes 1st section title since 1993
- High school roundup: Mt. Lebanon rolls to victory
- Greensburg high school roundup: No. 4 Hempfield baseball routs Norwin
- Daily News roundup: Uniontown upsets No. 4 West Mifflin
- High school roundup: Bethel Park upsets No. 1 Canon-McMillan
- Trib Cup: Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic loading up on games to prep for postseason
- Derry baseball team turns tables on Southmoreland
- BVA, Monessen girls pick up big softball wins
- Trib Cup: Win over rival Blackhawk highlights impressive season for Central Valley
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield softball avenges loss to Norwin