BVA girls suffer tough 1-0 loss
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Belle Vernon Area opened play in Section 3 AAA Thursday with a hard-luck 1-0 loss to West Mifflin.
The Lady Titans (3-0, 1-0) scored the game's lone run in the top of the seventh inning on Crystal Cook's RBI single. The run, set up by an error, was unearned.
BVA had five hits in the game with Nicole Ashcraft collecting two singles.
Lacey Washowich pitched a four-hitter with two strikeouts and two walks.
Winning pitcher Paige Flore had six strikeouts and walked one batter.
W. Allegheny 12, Ringgold 1
The Lady Rams lost the first game for new coach Brandi Piccolino in Section 2 AAA.
West Allegheny scored five runs in the first inning and never looked back as the winners added three in the second and four in the third.
Winning pitcher Rachel McLaughlin pitched a one-hitter.
T. Jefferson 6, Yough 5
Yough (0-1, 0-1) lost the Section 3 AAA game as TJ (5-0, 1-0) scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh inning.
Ashlyn Hoak had four hits and Allie Harvey two for Yough.
West Greene 11, California 1
California (0-2, 0-2) lost the Section 2 A contest to West Greene (1-2, 1-0) as Madison Raber had four hits for the winners.
BaseballSouthmoreland 11, Charleroi 1
The Cougars lost the nonsection game in six innings as the winners tallied three run in the first inning and four more in the second.
Brian Shaffer had a double for Southmoreland (2-0).
Charleroi (1-2) scored its lone run in the second inning.
BVA 4, Greensburg Salem 0
The Leps (1-0) banged out 11 hits in the nonsection game for coach Daryl Hixenbaugh's first win in his return as coach. Evan Hannon, Adam Holliday, Niko Tasser and Parker Lynn had two hits apiece for the Leps.
Winning pitcher Dylan Pietrantoni pitched a complete game, giving up just three hits with 10 strikeouts and no walks.
The Leps stole eight bases in the win.
Bentworth 6, Frazier 3
The Bearcats opened the season with the nonsection win as Ty Mitchell had three hits and teammates Rob Schlutz and Zack Atkinson had two each.
Frazier (1-2) got a two-run double and three RBI from Travis Sanner and teammate Zack Mastowski added a double.
Elizabeth Forward 7, Yough 3
EF (1-0) won the nonsection contest as Steve Welsh and Gary Martell each had three hits.
Winning pitcher Andrew Jacobs went five innings, giving up one run on three hits with six strikeouts.
Yough (0-1) got a double from Brandon Regotti
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Warning about cop-killer came moments too late
- Pitt survives Oakland’s upset bid with overtime victory
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar