Brentwood sophomore hurls no-hitter in varsity debut
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Brandon Mayfield enjoyed a sensational varsity debut for the Brentwood baseball team.
Mayfield, a left-handed sophomore, tossed a no-hitter against Clairton last week as the Spartans chalked up a 10-0 win in five innings.
Mayfield struck out eight and issed three free passes.
“He did a nice job for his varsity debut,” Greg Perdziola, Brentwood's veteran head coach, said. “He did a good a job keeping Clairton's hitters off balance with his curve ball.”
Three players sparked the Spartans offensively.
Brendan Mulholland, a junior first baseman, and Sean Cloonan, a senior second baseman, punched out two hits apiece. Mulholland also had two RBIs.
Nathan Christopher, a junior third baseman, drove in three runs.
Not to be out-done in Game 2, Brentwood followed up that impressive victory with a second consecutive no-hitter.
The Spartans blanked South Allegheny in seven innings, 4-0, as juniors Tyler Paranzino and Connor McWilliams combined on the no-hit performance.
Paranzino, a left-handed pitcher, started and went six innings. He fanned nine and walked two.
McWilliams, a righty, pitched one inning in relief, striking out one and walking one to pick up the save.
“Paranzino was on a roll and wanted to pitch the seventh, but his pitch count was up and we didn't want to chance anything since he has been dealing with arm issues the last couple of weeks,” Perdziola said.
Cloonan went 2 for 4 at the plate, while Paranzino and McWilliams had one hit and one RBI apiece.
“We had back-to-back no-hitters, which is most likely the first time that's happened in Brentwood baseball history,” Perdziola said. “It was a nice start, but we have a long way to go.”
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Suspect in Va. disappearance charged in rape
- Discipline Pitt’s only option against Georgia Tech
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Pitt notebook: Chryst didn’t lobby to keep Watt at tight end
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Mars Area schools superintendent resigns after short tenure
- Steelers’ Shazier sits, Justin Brown inactive vs. Texans
- Congress examines NSA official’s part-time job
- Ferrante defense says arrest of prosecutor’s boyfriend could affect case
- ‘Halloween Nights’ planned at Connellsville tech center
- Project aims for ‘Holy Grail’ of solar, wind energy storage