Greyhounds beat Frazier, 10-4, in 2-A opener
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Monessen opened play in Section 2-A on a winning note, beating visiting Frazier, 10-4.
The Greyhounds (2-3, 1-0) scored four runs in the first inning and were never in trouble.
In the first, Brandon Lenhart hit a run-scoring triple and came home on a single by Josh Kucmeroski. Winning pitcher Justice Rawlins later singled home Kucmeroski and scored the fourth run by coming home on a passed ball.
Leading 6-4 going into the bottom of the fifth inning, the Greyhounds put the game away with two runs each in the fifth and sixth.
Monessen had nine hits in the win with Jon Kravets hitting a double and single and collecting two RBI. Tyler Shash and Justice Rice each had two hits for Monessen.
Rawlins went the distance, scattering four hits with seven strikeouts and four walks.
“It's always nice to get a win, but we made too many errors today,” said Monessen coach Bill Matush. “We didn't help (Rawlins) as much as we could have.”
For Frazier (1-4, 0-1), Hunter Patterson had a double and single.
Monessen resumes play today at Bishop Canevin in a 3:30 p.m. start.
California 19, Mapletown 3
The Trojans (5-0, 2-0) shellacked the Maples (1-3, 0-1) in five innings in the Section 1-A contest.
Cal broke open a 4-2 game with five runs in the third inning and six more in the fourth.
Jake Columbus had three hits and two RBI for the Trojans while Robbie DeFranco stroked a double with three RBI and Casey Zajicek had a double and an RBI.
Reliever Adam Barton pitched two scoreless inning with four strikeouts and one walk.
Several area games were cancelled Monday, including Carrick at Ringgold, Belle Vernon Area at Thomas Jefferson and Charleroi at Burgettstown.
Jeff-Morgan 14, California 0
The Lady Trojans (0-4, 0-4) got no-hit by the Lady Rockets (5-0, 4-1) in Section 2-A as Madison Ludrosky pitched the five-inning gem with 10 strikeouts and one walk.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Return of 5 starters boosts prospects of Frazier baseball team
- California: What will Trojans do for an encore?
- Previewing the 2015 WPIAL baseball season
- Geibel baseball team hopes to buck recent trend of losing seasons
- Under new coach, Valley baseball team taking different approach
- Connellsville baseball team confident it will soar this season
- Ligonier Rams baseball team aims for consistency
- Quaker Valley baseball reloading pitching staff behind ace Garbee
- Southmoreland baseball prepared for jump in classification
- A-K Valley baseball preview: Plum puts focus on mental toughness
- Greensburg Central Catholic sets sights on competing for titles in Class A