Ringgold gives Piccolino first win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
New Ringgold softball coach Brandi Piccolino enjoyed the first win of her career Tuesday as the Lady Rams routed Moon, 16-4, in a Section 2 AAA game at Mounds Field.
And Piccolino probably could thank Celina Cantini for playing a big role in the first win. Cantini was not only was the winning pitcher, she also went 4-for-4, slugging two home runs — one a grand slam — and driving in seven.
The Lady Rams (1-3, 1-2) scored five runs in the second inning and tacked on six more in the sixth to invoke the 10-run rule.
Cantini had a lot of support as Ringgold pounded out 16 hits. Kara Richards had four singles and Hayle Fosbrink, Izzy Bright and Taylor Myers each had two singles.
Meg Heller and Emily Vith each had doubles for Moon.
BV Area 10, South Park 9
The Lady Leps (2-6, 1-4) won their second straight game as they picked up the Section 3 AAA victory.
A six-run fifth inning proved to be the difference for BVA, which got outhit, 13-6.
Nicole Amoroso, Nicole Ashcraft and Alexis Ellin each had a single and two RBI for BVA.
Cassie Scanlon had three hits and Lexis Ruzzi had a single and home run for South Park (2-3, 1-3).
Elizabeth Forward 6, Thomas Jefferson 3
EF (5-2, 3-0) stayed perfect in Section 3 AAA as Caitlyn Arico had two singles and two doubles and teammate Courtney Hrabosky added a triple.
Winning pitcher Sarah Turek scattered six hits with three strikeouts and one walk.
Jefferson-Morgan 8, Monessen 1
The Lady Greyhounds (1-5, 1-4) dropped the Section 2 A contest as J-M's Maddie Ludroskey scattered five hits with six strikeouts.
Losing pitcher Shelby Minardi, who gave up seven hits with three strikeouts, had four hits and drove home Monessen's only run in the third inning.
Reagan Rush had three hits for J-M (6-1, 5-1).
Frazier 7, Serra 4
The Lady Commodores (4-2, 4-1) got two doubles from Paige Hotz as they won in Section 2 A.
Also for Frazier, Monica Joseph and Kelsey Holp hit doubles.
Yough 10, Uniontown 2
The Lady Cougars (1-4) picked up their first win of the season in the non-section game as Allie Harvey homered for one of Yough's five hits.
Winning pitcher Mary Mularski gave up five hits with one strikeout and no walks.
BaseballDerry 5, Yough 4
The Cougars (2-3, 0-2) lost to Derry (2-3, 1-2) in Section 2 AAA.
Zack Zimmerman had two singles and a double for the winners.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fatal crash closes Flight 93 chapel in Somerset County
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Police on hunt for suspects in unrelated Penn Township, Manor cases
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Amusement parks fight off home entertainment threat
- Surge in small drones making airline pilots nervous
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- DVD reviews: ‘The Giver,’ ‘The Expendables 3’ and ‘What If’
- Pitt plays best game of the season; routs Kansas State