BVA holds off EF, 3-2
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Belle Vernon Area won its second straight game, edging Elizabeth Forward, 3-2, in Section 4-AAA.
The Leps (6-2, 2-2) did all of their scoring in the first inning against EF (5-5, 2-3) and then held on as the Warriors scored single run in each of the fourth and fifth innings.
Parker Lynn had a double for the Leps while Will Scott had two hits, including a double for the Warriors.
Cody Menges picked up the win for BVA, pitching 5 1⁄3 innings, giving up two runs on four hits with six strikeouts. He walked six.
South Park 5, Ringgold 1
The Rams gave up five runs in the bottom of the sixth in the Section 4-AAA game.
Zach Byczynski and Hunter Homa each had doubles for Ringgold (2-4, 0-4).
California 6, Jeff-Morgan 4
The Trojans (9-0, 4-0) had their toughest test in Section 1 A.
Cal scored four runs in the third inning to open up a 6-2 lead and then held on as J-M (1-7, 1-3) tallied three runs in the top of the fifth inning.
Josh Luko, Louden Conte and Casey Zajicek each had two hits as the Trojans collected 10 hits in the game.
Luko pitched three scoreless and hitless innings to get the win. He struck out three.
Frazier 15,Geibel 0
The Commodores (3-4, 2-1) rolled in four innings in Section 2 A as Dylan Celaschi gave up one hit with seven strikeouts and a walk.
Clay Hunter had two doubles and a single for Frazier while Roger Cline added two hits and Zach Mastowski and Tucker Bocan each smacked doubles.
Yough 8, Mt. Pleasant 7
C.J. Vargo's walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh inning capped a three-run frame to allow the Cougars (3-5, 1-4) to pull off the Section 2 AAA win over the Vikings (1-8, 0-5).
Ben Sabljac tripled and Nolan Kosh doubled for Yough.
W. Allegheny 11, Ringgold 4
The Lady Rams (2-5, 2-5) lost to West Allegheny (5-2, 5-2) as the winners scored all of their runs in the final four innings.
Ringgold led 4-0 going into the bottom of the fourth inning.
Carie Guballa had three hits and Laurel Hollis and Kara Richards had two each for Ringgold.
Frazier 16, Monessen 6
The Lady Commodores (6-2, 6-1) had little trouble with Monessen (1-7, 1-6) in Section 2 A.Frazier scored nine runs in the second inning.
Shelby Minardi had a single and double for Monessen.
For Frazier, Monica Joseph and Alexus Eicher had two singles and a double each and Kelsey Holp and Hannah Kline each added two hits.
Elizabeth Forward 11, South Park 9
EF (6-3, 4-1) beat South park (2-6, 1-5) as Ashley Baker had three hits, including a double.
EF jumped out to an 11-2 lead going into the bottom of the third and then held on.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trib Cup: Greensburg Central Catholic celebrates WPIAL title
- Knoch wins 1st WPIAL title by beating defending champ West Allegheny
- Central Catholic knocks off Norwin to win 1st WPIAL baseball title
- High school roundup: Montour edges CV in 9th to earn PIAA berth
- Juniata Valley holds off Blairsville for District 6 baseball title
- Knoch senior ejected from WPIAL title game for wild slide
- Steel Valley uses late rally to beat Keystone Oaks, advance to PIAA playoffs
- Neshannock shuts out Quaker Valley to capture WPIAL championship
- Greensburg Central Catholic downs defending champs California to win title
- Errors costly for Trojans in WPIAL title game
- McCombs tosses 1-hitter to lead Serra to PIAA tournament