HS Buzz: Belle Vernon hosting Military Appreciation Night
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Belle Vernon baseball team will hold its third annual Military Appreciation Night on Tuesday, when the Leopards host South Park at 7 p.m. at John DiVirgilio Sports Complex.
All active, nonactive and retired personnel from the Mon Valley are invited to join the team for an evening of recognition and appreciation.
The tradition originated in 2012 as a way to honor Lt. Col. Tom Ferita, father of then-center fielder Adam Ferita. Last year, the team hosted 2001 BVA graduate Capt. Eric McElvenny as the guest of honor.
Lax out cancer fundraiser
The Shady Side Academy boys and girls lacrosse programs are facing off against childhood cancer by hosting the inaugural Lax Out Cancer fundraiser Saturday.
Lacrosse fans will enjoy a day of game action as SSA's JV and varsity lacrosse teams play games from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Michael J. Farrell Stadium. Admission is $5.
Proceeds from the gate, concession and T-shirt sales, silent auction and 50/50 raffle will benefit childhood cancer research at Children's Hospital.
The JV girls will play Fox Chapel at 11 a.m., followed by the JV boys against Mt. Lebanon at 12:15. The varsity girls will host Fox Chapel at 2 and the boys play Greensburg Central Catholic at 4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- EF boys soccer team hopes more players means more success
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- A&E notebook: As India theme nears end, Phipps sets celebration
- Scots reject independence from United Kingdom in historic vote
- Armstrong home repair program receives second grant
- Show of support for A-K’s finest
- Five things you should know about Alibaba’s leadership
- Pirates hold on to beat Red Sox, complete 3-game sweep at PNC
- Hundreds gather to honor ambushed Pa. officer as search for suspect narrows to parents’ home
- Range Resources to pay $4.15M fine, close old gas drilling impoundments
- Schoolboy pick of the week: BVA