WPIAL Class A baseball final pushed to Wednesday
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When it comes to WPIAL Class A baseball, few teams have seen more success than Carmichaels and California, who met for this year's championship game Tuesday at Consol Energy Park in Washington.
The game was stopped for a lightning delay at 9:02 p.m., 60 minutes after the first pitch with the score tied 1-1. With continued flashes, the game was postponed until 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Regardless of who wins, it will be the sixth title for the two teams since 2001. California, under former coach Don Hartman, won in 2001 and 2006.
Carmichaels captured WPIAL titles in 2003, '05 and '08.
The winner will play the runner-up from District 9 in the first round of the PIAA Class A playoffs Monday. The loser will face the District 5 champion the same night. Times and sites are yet to be determined.
Though California was Trib Total Media's top-ranked team for much of the season, cruising to the Section 1-A title, Carmichaels surged in the playoffs. The Mikes scored 36 runs in wins over No. 7 Springdale, No. 2 Western Beaver and No. 11 Riverview.
California beat its top rival twice this season: 14-0 and 6-5.
Carmichaels took advantage of two California errors and held a 1-0 lead after the first inning.
Center fielder Ryan Zalar reached base and made it to third on a throwing error charged to Trojans third baseman Ronnie Baron. He scored on a flare up the middle by catcher Mike Blasinsky, who went to second when the ball bounced away from first baseman Nathaniel Luketich.
California tied it in the top of the third when catcher Jake Columbus hit a flare the opposite way, stole second and scored on shortstop Louden Conte's triple that sneaked inside the first-base bag.
Carmichaels pitcher Brandon Lawless, who entered the game 8-1 with a 2.04 ERA, issued back-to-back walks before the delay, his third and fourth of the game. Of the 69 pitches Lawless threw, only 33 were for strikes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greensburg high school roundup: No. 4 Hempfield baseball routs Norwin
- High school roundup: Mt. Lebanon rolls to victory
- Daily News roundup: Uniontown upsets No. 4 West Mifflin
- Derry baseball team turns tables on Southmoreland
- High school roundup: Bethel Park upsets No. 1 Canon-McMillan
- Trib Cup: Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic loading up on games to prep for postseason
- Kittanning baseball eyes 1st section title since 1993
- Pitchers lead Chartiers Valley baseball to success
- Gateway baseball team puts wins on board in section
- Greensburg high school roundup: No. 1 GCC tops rival Jeannette
- Daily News roundup: Rohan leads Steel Valley to Section 4 victory