Sewickley Academy, QV baseball fall in 1st round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Despite seven strikeouts in six innings from pitcher Joe Nagel, Sewickley Academy was ousted from the PIAA Class A playoffs in a 3-2 first-round loss to Elk County Catholic at Brockway High School on Monday.
Drew Johnson had a double for Sewickley Academy (10-7), which rallied for two runs in the top of the fifth to tie the score at 2-2, only to give up the deciding run in the bottom of the fifth.
Elk County Catholic advances to play WPIAL runner-up Carmichaels in the PIAA quarterfinals Thursday at a time and site to be determined.
Martinsburg Central 4, Quaker Valley 1 — Quaker Valley (18-4), the third-place team from the WPIAL, fell to Martinsburg Central, the first-place finisher in District 6, in the first round.
The Quakers led 1-0 in the fifth inning, scoring on a wild pitch. But Central managed four runs over the next two innings to seal the win.
Mike Mock earned the win for Central, which will play the winner of Franklin and Seton-La Salle in the quarterfinals Thursday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- New Penguin Kessel’s shot is what makes him special
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Gorman: Barnstorming tour bigger than baseball
- Youngwood man’s crash knocks out power in Monessen
- Man shot, killed at East Liberty housing complex
- More Mon Valley communities add banners honoring veterans
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Hempfield woman donates music inspired by WWI ‘doughnut girls’
- Facelift approved for historic La Rose building in Greensburg