Sewickley Academy, QV baseball fall in 1st round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Despite seven strikeouts in six innings from pitcher Joe Nagel, Sewickley Academy was ousted from the PIAA Class A playoffs in a 3-2 first-round loss to Elk County Catholic at Brockway High School on Monday.
Drew Johnson had a double for Sewickley Academy (10-7), which rallied for two runs in the top of the fifth to tie the score at 2-2, only to give up the deciding run in the bottom of the fifth.
Elk County Catholic advances to play WPIAL runner-up Carmichaels in the PIAA quarterfinals Thursday at a time and site to be determined.
Martinsburg Central 4, Quaker Valley 1 — Quaker Valley (18-4), the third-place team from the WPIAL, fell to Martinsburg Central, the first-place finisher in District 6, in the first round.
The Quakers led 1-0 in the fifth inning, scoring on a wild pitch. But Central managed four runs over the next two innings to seal the win.
Mike Mock earned the win for Central, which will play the winner of Franklin and Seton-La Salle in the quarterfinals Thursday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- McKeesport home invasion sends people to hospital
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Confident rookie quarterback Manziel erratic early with Browns
- Construction of $500M power plant in South Huntingdon stalled
- Home sellers are able to remain mum about violent crimes committed there
- Former Gateway coach Smith is ‘perfect fit’ for Penn State football staff
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Observers mixed on grid backup amid carbon rules, natural gas uncertainty
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver