Sewickley Academy, QV baseball fall in 1st round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Despite seven strikeouts in six innings from pitcher Joe Nagel, Sewickley Academy was ousted from the PIAA Class A playoffs in a 3-2 first-round loss to Elk County Catholic at Brockway High School on Monday.
Drew Johnson had a double for Sewickley Academy (10-7), which rallied for two runs in the top of the fifth to tie the score at 2-2, only to give up the deciding run in the bottom of the fifth.
Elk County Catholic advances to play WPIAL runner-up Carmichaels in the PIAA quarterfinals Thursday at a time and site to be determined.
Martinsburg Central 4, Quaker Valley 1 — Quaker Valley (18-4), the third-place team from the WPIAL, fell to Martinsburg Central, the first-place finisher in District 6, in the first round.
The Quakers led 1-0 in the fifth inning, scoring on a wild pitch. But Central managed four runs over the next two innings to seal the win.
Mike Mock earned the win for Central, which will play the winner of Franklin and Seton-La Salle in the quarterfinals Thursday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In Steelers-Saints game, all eyes on Brown-Lewis matchup
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- Salvation Army in W.Pa. uses social media campaign
- Trib real estate writer Spatter ‘worked right to the end’
- Sloppy Penguins fall to Hurricanes
- Hempfield Area High School senior Richason creates Before I Die wall in Greensburg
- Carnegie boy with rare gene mutation enjoys 1st Penguins game
- Auto technology gives mobile computing a new meaning
- McKeesport’s Minerva’s Bakery to be featured on Sebak’s documentary
- Cash-strapped Pittsburgh Public Schools to sponsor holiday parade
- Pittsburgh zoo joins effort to rehabilitate sea turtles