Butler grad Snodgrass switches to Northern Kentucky
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Butler graduate Nate Snodgrass, a member of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 10, will play Division I basketball at Northern Kentucky University instead of the U.S. Naval Academy.
The 6-foot point guard, who averaged 21.8 points per game as a senior and finished with 1,100 career points, attended Navy's Plebe School for two weeks this summer before deciding that he didn't want to attend college at a military service academy.
“I realized the whole way of military life wasn't for me and decided to try a different option,” Snodgrass said. “I had some doubts, at first. I was hoping basketball would outdo the military, but I realized the military came first.”
Snodgrass said Navy coach Ed DeChellis and former Duquesne coach Ron Everhart were helpful in steering him toward schools. Snodgrass chose Northern Kentucky, which will play Division I for the first time in the Atlantic Sun Conference, over Wofford.
“At Northern Kentucky, I felt I had a better opportunity to play right away and help the team. They're an up-and-coming program,” Snodgrass said. “I got very lucky to have some options to play Division I still.”
Kevin Gorman is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-320-7812.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inside the ropes: Shazier shows off speed
- Steelers hope new faces breathe life into team
- Grand jury report says Western Psych failed to cooperate with police
- Steelers notebook: Team hasn’t called on Keisel, Harrison yet
- Steelers linebacker Spence confident he can avoid injury setbacks
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- Police say naked woman stabs three women during street fight in McKees Rocks
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Pennsylvania Turnpike Southern Beltway extension gets funding
- 2 charged with murder in fatal Philly carjacking
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year