High school roundup: Karns City boys lose in overtime
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Confidence among Karns City's boys basketball players might've increased after the Gremlins' season-opening game against perennial WPIAL Class A playoff qualifier St. Joseph on Wednesday night.
Karns City took the host Spartans to overtime before falling, 62-60. St. Joseph's John Ferguson sank a 3-pointer as time expired just to force the extra period.
Andrew Johnston made 11 of 17 free throws during a 26-point performance for the Gremlins (0-1), who led, 40-31, after three quarters. Tyler Kepple added 11 points, 9 of which came from 3-pointers.
John Arcuri made three 3-pointers and went 9 for 9 at the foul line to finish with a game-high 28 points for St. Joseph (2-2).
Apollo-Ridge 56, Derry Area 34 — Lucas Burrell tied the game-high with 17 points for the Class AA Vikings (4-0), who cruised by Class AAA Derry (1-2). Also for Apollo-Ridge, Alex Smith scored 13 points, and Tre Tipton added 10 points. Burrell, Smith and Evan Davis each made a trio of 3-pointers.
Andy Panizzi led Derry with 17 points. Apollo-Ridge jumped out to a 23-8 lead by halftime.
Ford City 63, Leechburg 50 — David Lattanzio scored a game-high 20 points, including three 3-pointers, for the Class AA Sabers (2-2), who defeated Class A Leechburg (1-3). Lattanzio also shot 7 for 8 from the foul line.
Ben Richie and Alex Filipino scored 12 points apiece for Leechburg.
Karns City 60, Brookville 58 — Freshman LeAnn Gibson scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead the Gremlins (3-0) in District 9 play.
Shanel Preston and Annie Hegedus each added 14 points, and Emily LoPresti had 10 for Karns City.
Valley 44, West Shamokin 9 — David Batistig defeated Paul Escribano, 7-5, in overtime of the 138-pound bout to deliver West Shamokin (0-2, 0-1) its only contested win in the Section 3(B)-AA match.
John Wissinger won the 220-pound bout by forfeit. The Wolves forfeited four bouts to Valley (1-0, 1-0).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jeannette hoping to be in a groove once playoffs begin
- Versatile sophomore Jonczak has Highlands in playoff hunt after 3-16 season
- High school roundup: Pine-Richland squad wins PIAA spirit title
- Neither coach happy after Monessen beats Avella by 90 points
- Ford City battles, earns hard-fought 46-43 win over Wilkinsburg
- Snyder taking his best shot for Seneca Valley
- Gorman: Celebrating Western Pa.’s hoops history
- Connellsville holds off Kiski Area for big win
- Knoch boys adjusting after losing point guard Hannes to injury
- Daily News roundup: EF girls take down West Mifflin
- Tipton helps lift Apollo-Ridge over Section 2-AA foe Shady Side Academy