High school roundup: Karns City boys lose in overtime
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Confidence among Karns City's boys basketball players might've increased after the Gremlins' season-opening game against perennial WPIAL Class A playoff qualifier St. Joseph on Wednesday night.
Karns City took the host Spartans to overtime before falling, 62-60. St. Joseph's John Ferguson sank a 3-pointer as time expired just to force the extra period.
Andrew Johnston made 11 of 17 free throws during a 26-point performance for the Gremlins (0-1), who led, 40-31, after three quarters. Tyler Kepple added 11 points, 9 of which came from 3-pointers.
John Arcuri made three 3-pointers and went 9 for 9 at the foul line to finish with a game-high 28 points for St. Joseph (2-2).
Apollo-Ridge 56, Derry Area 34 — Lucas Burrell tied the game-high with 17 points for the Class AA Vikings (4-0), who cruised by Class AAA Derry (1-2). Also for Apollo-Ridge, Alex Smith scored 13 points, and Tre Tipton added 10 points. Burrell, Smith and Evan Davis each made a trio of 3-pointers.
Andy Panizzi led Derry with 17 points. Apollo-Ridge jumped out to a 23-8 lead by halftime.
Ford City 63, Leechburg 50 — David Lattanzio scored a game-high 20 points, including three 3-pointers, for the Class AA Sabers (2-2), who defeated Class A Leechburg (1-3). Lattanzio also shot 7 for 8 from the foul line.
Ben Richie and Alex Filipino scored 12 points apiece for Leechburg.
Karns City 60, Brookville 58 — Freshman LeAnn Gibson scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead the Gremlins (3-0) in District 9 play.
Shanel Preston and Annie Hegedus each added 14 points, and Emily LoPresti had 10 for Karns City.
Valley 44, West Shamokin 9 — David Batistig defeated Paul Escribano, 7-5, in overtime of the 138-pound bout to deliver West Shamokin (0-2, 0-1) its only contested win in the Section 3(B)-AA match.
John Wissinger won the 220-pound bout by forfeit. The Wolves forfeited four bouts to Valley (1-0, 1-0).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Seven in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Kids evacuated at Mars Area High after electrical fire, no injuries reported
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- North Catholic High School lists interim principal
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Chevron puts $20M into educating, training Appalachian workers
- Schools closed after state police ambush suspect reportedly sighted nearby
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation focused on craft, taste