Shorthanded Ringgold girls pick up first win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Ringgold girls' basketball team Saturday used a tight zone defense and a distinct size advantage underneath to earn its first victory of the season -- a 34-16, non-section victory over Laurel Highlands in their home opener.
Ringgold coach Nick Mandich said the victory was more relief than celebratory.
“If we'd have made a lot more of our shots, we'd have scored 60,” Mandich said. “We expected to win our first two games and we didn't execute well in those.”
Sophomore forward Marlena Schmidt led the Lady Rams with 10 points, nine rebounds and six blocked shots.
“She had a nice game and we executed well,” Mandich said. “I don't think (Laurel Highlands) had a player over 5-foot-8.”
Ringgold (1-3, 0-1) is missing three players: starting point guard Eleni Radic, and guards Charise Barner and Kara Foster.
Radic and Barner are out with injured knees while Foster is recovering from a broken finger. Mandich expects to have a full squad by January.
“We're going to get everyone back here soon and things are going to change,” he said.
“We're basically playing one guard and four forwards, so their getting a lot of experience, playing hard and it's only going to help us down the road.”
Ringgold will try for its first section win at 7:30 tonight when it hosts Waynesburg Central (2-2).
California Area 50
Ellis School 36
The Lady Trojans (4-0) remained undefeated with a comfortable 50-36 non-section win Saturday at Ellis School (2-3) ending their weekend stay in Pittsburgh.
California, who hasn't played a home game yet this season, stayed the night in the city after playing Carrick Friday night before their afternoon tilt with the Tigers.
Senior guard Courtnee McMasters paced California Area with 18 points while senior forward Natalie Baron added 13.
The talented McMasters has led the Lady Trojans in scoring in each of their first four games and is averaging 24 points per game.
California will host Yough 6 p.m. Wednesday in their home opener.
Elizabeth Forward 49
Bolles (Fla.) 38
The Lady Warriors (5-1) finished their trip to at KSA Classic Tournament in Orlando, Fla. with a 49-38 win over Bolles. The team finished their Florida trip with a 2-1 record.
Bolles is from the Jacksonville area.
No other information was available.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Huntingdon man injured, dog dies in house fire
- Kiski River searched for possible missing kayaker
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential
- Penguins notebook: After reinterpreting rule, draft pick sought for Bylsma’s hiring
- Pirates pound Padres for 7th consecutive victory
- Man dies in North Buffalo fire
- Dormont man missing since Wednesday found dead at Station Square
- Juvenile status hearing, trial delayed in Franklin Regional stabbings
- Overhaul possible for West Mifflin’s Century III Mall
- Women’s resale boutique in Ross channels profits to animal charities
- Frye: Taking aim at DMAP permits