Local roundup: Gateway QB stars in Chesapeake Bowl victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway quarterback Thomas Woodson threw two touchdown passes for the North all-stars in Saturday's 38-13 Chesapeake Bowl victory in Landover, Md.
A dozen players from the WPIAL were chosen for the game, which matches high school seniors from Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware against those from Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia.
Brentwood (Tenn.) 62, Gateway 42 — Andy Schumpert tallied a game-high 26 points including three 3-pointers as Brentwood defeated host Gateway in the Holiday Christmas Tournament. D. J. Boyce led the Gators (6-2) with 14 points.
Penn-Trafford 73, Bethel Park 72 (OT) — Dorian Stevens hit a game-winning 3-pointer with 1.6 seconds left in overtime as Penn-Trafford (7-2) defeated Bethel Park in the Shady Side Tournament. Rohan Young finished with a game-high 28 points for Bethel Park (8-1).
Greensburg C.C. 82, Monessen 41 — Brian Graytok scored 25 points and Zach Herman added 24 as Greensburg Central Catholic (9-1) beat Monessen (1-8) at the Gateway Tournament. Clintell Gillaspie led Monessen with 13 points.
Centreville (Va.) 43, Sewickley Academy 35 — Charles Tutt scored 11 points as Centerville defeated Sewickley Academy (2-6) at the Bulldog Bash in Westfield, Va.
Franklin Regional 66, Cambridge South (Md.) 41 — Matt Renzi made five 3-pointers among his 21 points in Franklin Regional's win over Cambridge South at the Governor's Challenge in Salisbury, Md. Charan Singh added 13 points and Nate Klozek 11 for Franklin Regional (6-4).
Chartiers-Houston 97, Avella 49 — Miles Williamson scored 21 points as Chartiers-Houston (3-6) defeated Avella in the consolation game of the OLSH Tournament.
South Side Beaver 34, Eisenhower 31 — Lucas Collett led South Side Beaver with 15 points as it edged Eisenhower in the consolation game of the Corry Tournament.
Blackhawk 89, Greensburg CC 56 — Alexis Graham scored her 1,000th career point as Blackhawk defeated Greensburg C. C. (7-2) in the Hempfield Tournament. Chassidy Omogrosso scored a game-high 27 points for Blackhawk (9-0).
Mt. Lebanon 64, Morgantown (W.Va.) 47 — Alex Ventrone scored 18 points as Mt. Lebanon (7-1) defeated Morgantown in the championship of the California University Tournament. Jordan Holmes added 18 points and was named tournament MVP.
Beaver Falls 37, Ursuline (Ontario) 16 — Ayana Vaughn scored 26 points to lead Beaver Falls (4-5) at the KSA Holiday Tournament in Orlando, Fla.
Greensburg Salem 65, West Mifflin 47 — Karli Mellinger scored 28 points as Greensburg Salem (5-3) defeated West Mifflin (2-5) in the Hempfield Tournament.
Avonworth 55, Springdale 47 — In the consolation game of the St. Joseph Tournament, Avonworth (5-4) held off Springdale (4-5). Monteea Hunter led Avonworth with 15 points. Maddy Glamp scored a game-high 16 for Springdale.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Thomas Jefferson girls bring hard-nosed play, intangibles to the court
- Wildcats return their core
- Mt. Pleasant girls basketball coach eager to start season with versatile team
- Kittanning boys basketball shoots for 4th straight playoff trip in program’s final season
- Class AAAA boys basketball preview: After 1st playoff win since 2003, Hempfield boys hope to advance in postseason
- Thomas Jefferson boys basketball team has high expectations
- After struggling in Class AA, Serra boys basketball welcomes move down in classification
- Class AAAA girls basketball preview: Penn-Trafford welcomes doubters as it begins WPIAL title defense
- Kiski Area boys ready for encore
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- Gateway girls again the hunters in section race