Jayhawks remain undefeated
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The numbers are staggering.
74.7 — points per game for the Jeannette Jayhawks though seven games in 2012 — first in WPIAL Class-AA, and fourth overall in the WPIAL.
44.4 — points per game allowed by the Jayhawks during their 7-0 start — fifth in Class-AA.
30.3 — average margin of victory for the Jayhawks in 2012 — best in the WPIAL.
Of the three, the number that pleases Jeannette head coach Adrian Batts the most is, predictably, 44.4. Batts knew his team would score, but never imagined they would defend this well.
“We've talked about winning a title,” said Batts. “We know it's going to take great defense, and we have been defending very well in the half-court.”
It goes further than the half-court for Jeannette, though. Their commitment to tenacious defense has created an almost absurd number of turnovers and resulted in remarkably high numbers in transition points.
“We had 20 fast-break points against Springdale (an 80-50 road win last Thursday), and 28 against Greensburg Salem (a 76-38 win last Thursday),” said Batts. “You almost never see numbers like that in high school games.”
Besides Springdale and Greensburg Salem, Jeannette also beat Riverview at home last Tuesday, 68-29. The Jayhawks are one of three Section-3 teams to start the season 7-0 (3-0 in section play). Greensburg Central Catholic and Serra Catholic share the top spot in the section with Jeannette.
Duke Brown scored a season-high 39 points against Springdale, but Batts said his team's strength offensively all season has been their balanced scoring.
“We continue to have four or five guys every night in double digits,” said Batts. “We had seven varsity guys come back this year, and four of those have been in my system for four years, so they know the system and the terminology.”
Their familiarity with Batts' offensive and defensive philosophies manifest in Jeannette's player's high basketball IQ's and in-game decision-making, and has resulted in dominance through seven games.
Jeannette will come out of the holiday break and holiday tournament at Gateway High School with an important Section-3 test next Friday against Serra Catholic.
Jeannette (3-0) (7-0)
GCC (2-0) (7-0)
Serra Catholic (2-0) (7-0)
Riverview (1-2) (2-4)
Shady Side (1-2) (2-4)
Springdale (0-2) (1-5)
South Allegheny (0-3) (2-5)
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Knoch basketball team gets reinforcements
- Serra girls expecting repeat success
- Kiski Area boys a team in transition after graduation of top scorer
- WPIAL AAAA boys basketball preview: Runners-up last season, North Allegheny hopes to take next step
- With star Satira gone, Serra Catholic boys basketball to rely on team effort
- Expanded roster helps boost Kiski Area girls
- Knoch girls seek dividends of experience
- Latrobe boys look to defend Section 1-AAAA title with experienced lineup
- New girls’ coaches trying to put in their systems
- Elizabeth Forward boys basketball preparing to fill big shoes
- Steel Valley girls plan to play ‘small ball’