High school roundup: Steel Valley boys win 6th straight
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Steel Valley boys basketball team used a big fourth quarter to win its sixth consecutive game, upending Hollidaysburg, 67-62, in a nonsection game Thursday.
Steel Valley (7-2) outscored the visitors, 23-13, in the final quarter.
Ajan Smith scored a game-high 32 points, Dorian Broadwater added 14 and Tyrieq Patterson 10 for Steel Valley.
Hollidaysburg received 25 points from Zach Ottaway and 20 from Brian Urban.
Norwin 63, Albert Gallatin 42 — Norwin used a 25-10 fourth quarter to pull away with the Section 1-AAAA win.
Natalie Dittig scored 13, and Rachel Keto added 10 for the Lady Knights (5-5, 3-1).
Serra Catholic 91, Geibel 18 — Danielle Dindak hit six 3-pointers and scored 24 points as Serra won its Section 4-A opener.
Katie Sieg scored 21 and dished out nine assists, and Nicole Pero had 10 points and nine rebounds for the Lady Eagles (8-1, 1-0).
Steel Valley 54, Brentwood 28 — Sydney Smith's 18 and C.C. Dixon's 16 points led Steel Valley (6-3, 2-1) to a Section 4-AA win.
The Lady Ironmen outscored Brentwood, 39-17, after the first quarter.
Jeannette 65, East Allegheny 10 — Ciara Gregory scored 26 points to lead Jeannette to a Section 3-AA win.
Ringgold 42, Thomas Jefferson 35 — Thomas Jefferson rallied from a 14-5 first-quarter deficit but came up short in a Section 4-AAA game.
Josie Schmidt led Ringgold (5-4, 2-1) with 23 points.
Paige Risley paced Thomas Jefferson (3-7, 1-2) with 13 points.
Winchester-Thurston 73, Clairton 46 — A rough third quarter was too much for Clairton (2-3, 0-1) to overcome in a Section 4-A loss.
The Lady Bears were outscored, 31-8, in the third. Justice Hall scored 17, and Taleese Ogletree added 15 for Clairton.
Mt. Pleasant 41, Yough 20 — Yough was held to nine points through three quarters in a Section 3-AAA loss.
Elaina Feerer led Mt. Pleasant (5-4, 2-1) with 11 points, and Yough (5-5, 1-3) was paced by Natalie Peebles' eight points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Ferrante defense says arrest of prosecutor’s boyfriend could affect case
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation small, putting effort into craft, taste