Leechburg boys open section with big win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Leechburg's boys basketball team opened Section 4-A play in a big way. The Blue Devils scored a season-high 74 points in their win over Winchester Thurston.
Three players finished in double figures for Leechburg (5-5, 1-0), which prevailed, 74-46, after trailing by nine through the first quarter.
Ben Ritchie scored a game-high 21 points, Chris Swank added 18 and Jacob Iellimo had 16, nine of which came on 3-pointers.
Iellimo also had 10 rebounds, and Swank grabbed nine. Ritchie finished with five steals.
Winchester Thurston (1-4, 0-1) led, 18-9, after the first quarter and trailed only 36-29 at halftime. But it scored just nine points in the third quarter and eight in the fourth.
Tyler Coleman led Winchester Thurston with 11 points, and Max Calhoun added 10.
West Shamokin 35, Springdale 28 — Jill Glover made 11 field goals to finish with 22 points and also grabbed 15 rebounds for West Shamokin (6-5, 2-1) in the non-section game. Tristan Cribbs (six points, nine rebounds) was the only other member of the Lady Wolves with multiple buckets.
Alex Gladwell scored a team-high 11 points for Springdale, which led, 14-13, at halftime but was outscored, 12-5, in the third quarter.
Seneca Valley 54, Kittanning 39 — Kittanning (5-6) fell behind, 19-11, after one quarter in the nonsection contest against Class AAAA Seneca Valley (6-3). Cassie Merryman led the Lady Wildcats with 15 points, and Emily Knepshield added 10. Melissa Carter scored 19 points for the Lady Raiders, and Lexus Lambert contributed 14.
Burrell 61, West Shamokin 6 — Brian Brown pinned Dustin Maloney in the 152-pound bout to deliver West Shamokin (0-8, 0-3) its only points in the Section 3(B)-AA dual meet.
Burrell (5-3, 3-0) won seven bouts by forfeit.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- BVA girls clinch playoffs, keep 4-AAA hopes alive
- Breen’s long passes key to Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic’s fast break
- HS highlight reel: PIAA approves Clairton sanctions
- Norwin’s Perz scores 32 in nonsection win over McKeesport
- Daily News roundup: PIAA approves punishment for Clairton football
- Quaker Valley boys basketball seniors feeling urgency
- Frazier girls making final push to claim program’s 2nd section championship
- South Fayette boys basketball focused on section title
- Dwindling numbers no excuse for Sewickley Academy girls basketball
- Norwin guard DelleFemine suffering no sophomore slump
- Jeannette boys ready for next step after section championship