Gateway edges Fox Chapel in 1st-place showdown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel had four chances to tie the game against Gateway in a battle between the last two undefeated teams in Section 2-AAAA.
But the Gators held off the visiting Foxes on all four sequences to emerge with a 40-38 victory.
Fox Chapel junior Matt D' Amico, who led all scorers with 18 points, misfired on a 3-point shot at the buzzer.
The Gators (9-1, 5-0) took over sole possession of first place, while Fox Chapel dropped to 4-1 in the section, 9-2 overall.
Fox Chapel's Connor Duquette drew a charge from forward Tom Kromka, and Alden Stone stole the ball with 12 seconds left, but the Foxes couldn't convert.
“That was the best that we've played, collectively, on defense all year,” Foxes coach Zack Skrinjar said. “We ran some action off the right side on the last play. It was exactly how we drew it up, to take a three.”
Gateway has won its last three section games by three points or fewer.
“Until we learn to knock down free throws and quit turning the ball over, that's what it's going to be like,” Gators coach Mitch Adams said.
Gateway took a 21-12 lead with 3:28 left in the second quarter, but the Foxes answered with a 12-0 run for a 24-21 lead.
Dennis Boyce had 11 points and Kromka added 10, including eight of Gateway's 10 fourth-quarter points.
George Guido is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ringgold girls escape with 41-35 win over Brownsville
- Young Charleroi races past Waynesburg
- Returning starters expected to boost Penn Hills boys basketball squad
- Uptempo style of play leads to strong start for Bishop Canevin boys
- Chartiers Valley boys basketball competes, bonds in Arizona
- Daily News roundup: McKeesport boys defeat Franklin Regional in OT
- Fox Chapel’s Urso adjusts quickly between football, basketball
- Quick start carries Riverview girls past Leechburg
- High school basketball notebook: Plum grad Cressler returns as volunteer assistant for Knoch
- McKeesport boys remain unbeaten in section after win over Fox Chapel
- Greyhounds run past J-M in 83-32 rout