High school roundup: South Allegheny stops Springdale
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After a heartbreaking overtime loss to Riverview, South Allegheny needed a win if it had any hope of qualifying for the WPIAL Class AA playoffs for the first time since 2005.
Then again, this has been the year when the Gladiators have found ways to end playoff droughts.
South Allegheny (5-7, 1-4) won its first Section 3 game of the season as Jaylee Patterson continued her torrid scoring pace with 25 points, including six 3-pointers, in a 51-46 win over Springdale. Patterson came into the game as the No. 5 scorer in Class AA with 17.3 points per game.
Norwin 56, Kiski A rea 49 — Freshman Alayna Gribble continued to light it up against Section 1 competition as she scored 15 points to lead the Knights (7-6, 5-1) to a win over the visiting Cavaliers.
Rachel Keto chipped in 10 points as Norwin readies itself for its first-half finale Tuesday against Penn-Trafford.
Thomas Jefferson 63, Waynesburg 35 — Alexis Yanief and Jesse Hinkle each scored 18 points to help the Jaguars extend their winning streak to two games.
Thomas Jefferson (5-8, 2-3) had not won a Section 4 game since Dec. 21.
Elizabeth Forward 63, Ringgold 34 — The Warriors moved a half-game ahead of West Mifflin for first place in Section 4 with a relatively easy victory over the Rams.
Natalie Fekula scored a game-high 17 points to lead Elizabeth Forward (11-1, 4-0), the Trib Total Media No. 4 team in Class AAA.
Greensburg Central Catholic 57, East Allegheny 11 — Carolyn Addisey had a game-high 13 points to lead the Centurions to a running-clock victory.
Serra Catholic 74, Clairton 29 — Megan Sieg had a double-double with 11 points and 10 assists as the first-place Eagles (9-1, 3-0) rolled past rival Clairton in the first of their two Section 4 games.
It was the second time in three games Serra Catholic won with a running clock.
Canon-McMillan 50, West Mifflin 45 — West Mifflin (4-6) blew a six-point halftime lead in a loss to the Class AAAA Big Macs.
The Titans had won two in a row.
Elizabeth Forward 65 , Ringgold 50 — Matt Bernadowski scored 23 points, and JaQuan Davidson added 22 to lead the Warriors (7-6, 2-3) to a key Section 4 matchup.
With the victory Elizabeth Forward solidified its position on the section's fourth and final playoff spot.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Chartiers Valley displays shooting touch in blowout win over USC
- Butler’s 31-point night carries Latrobe past Norwin
- No. 3 Greensburg Central Catholic ends top-ranked Burrell’s section winning streak
- Gorman: Quips finding victory amid great loss
- Greensburg high school roundup: Jeannette tops Serra Catholic in Section 4-A
- Valley routs Freeport 61-39 to keep playoff hopes alive
- High school roundup: Bethel Park downs No. 4 Mt. Lebanon in Section 4-AAAA
- Ligonier Valley’s 3-sports standout nearing 1,000 career points
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem tops Mt. Lebanon
- Mt. Pleasant girls basketball team defeats Southmoreland, 67-30
- HS highlight reel: Moon names new football coach