High school roundup: Penn Hills puts scare into McKeesport
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Penn Hills may not have won a Section 3-AAAA game this season, but the Indians gave McKeesport all it could handle when the teams met on Friday.
Sophomore Jordon Payne scored a game-high 20 points as the Tigers held off a late charge for a 61-57 victory. With the win, McKeesport (9-3, 5-1) set up a first-place showdown at home against Gateway (9-1, 6-0) on Tuesday.
Senior guard Carlitto Acie chipped in 10 and was the only other Tigers player in double figures.
Norwin 56, Connellsville 36 — Down four at halftime, the Knights came roaring back by outscoring the Falcons, 44-18, in the second half to remain undefeated in Section 1 play.
Norwin (8-4, 5-0) was led by Curtis Perz, who scored a game-high 25 points.
Yough 51, Derry Area 50 (OT)— Cougars junior guard Josh Sterner hit a 5-foot jumper at the horn for the game-winner in overtime.
Yough (5-9, 2-4) trailed by six at halftime but came back to tie it and send it to overtime thanks to a game-high 17 points from Sterner.
Dom Miele added 16 and Ben D'Amico 13 in the come-from-behind effort.
South Allegheny 37, Springdale 28 — South Allegheny came back from a two-point first quarter to defeat upset-minded Springdale (2-10, 0-5) in Section 3-AA.
Kordell Thompson notched 13 points and Derek Vargo 10 in the victory for South Allegheny (5-8, 2-3). Charlie Guy registered 15 points for the Dynamos.
Penn Hills 36, McKeesport 31 — Despite staying in the game throughout, the Tigers (6-7, 0-5) remained winless in Section 2 play.
Franklin Regional 58, Woodland Hills 46 — Desiree Garland had 14 points and surpassed the 1,000-career point plateau, but Woodland Hills (4-8, 1-4) fell short in Section 2-AAAA. Maggie Kimmich and Hanna Wagner each had 11 for Franklin Regional (7-4, 3-2).
West Mifflin 58, Ringgold 46 — Taylor Thomas and Alyssa Cairns each scored a game-high 17 points to lead the Titans to a Section 3 win.
West Mifflin (5-6, 5-0) moves into a first-place tie with Elizabeth Forward, but will not play the Lady Warriors until Jan. 21.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Daily News Fabulous 15: Senior standouts highlight all-star team
- Grodz resigns as Charleroi Area coach
- Kittanning senior Kunst shoots lights out at Cager Classic skills event
- Teams set mark for 3-pointers as East boys nip West, 110-109, in Cager Classic
- Bordonaro boosts East girls to 79-72 victory in Cager Classic
- Montgomery’s 3s help team to Cager Classic win
- Tough seasons to end on high note for girls at Cager Classic
- Cager Classic notebook: Highlands, Mars players bury hatchet for the weekend
- Blackhawk girls beat Archbishop Wood, defend PIAA hoops title