High school roundup: Rocco scores 40 in West Shamokin's victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Shamokin's boys basketball team spent the first month of the season searching for a statement win.
On Friday night, the Wolves might have found it.
Bolstered by Anthony Rocco's school-record 40-point performance, West Shamokin (6-6, 2-3) defeated Burrell, 74-69, in overtime at home. Rocco scored 11 of the Wolves' 13 points in the extra period of the Section 1-AA game.
Matt Marsh made his first and only field goal of the contest when he made a 3-pointer with 10 seconds left to force overtime.
Rocco then resumed his dominance, which ultimately included a 16-for-20 showing at the foul line.
Zane Clowser followed Rocco with 21 points for the Wolves, who led, 46-42, after three quarters. Clowser also grabbed nine rebounds.
Alex White scored 18 points to lead Burrell (9-3, 3-1), and Matt Hess added 16.
Summit Academy 83, Ford City 67 — Ford City (3-10, 0-4) led, 31-27, at halftime and trailed by one after three quarters, but the Sabers failed to keep pace in the final eight minutes of the Section 1-AA game.
David Lattanzio scored a team-high 23 points, and Jesse Sequeira added 15.
DaShaan Smith led four double-digit scorers with 29 points for Summit Academy (3-9, 2-3).
Imani Christian 84, Leechburg 53 — Leechburg (5-7, 1-2) trailed by nine at halftime but was outscored, 23-8, in the third quarter of the Section 4-A road game. Chris Swank scored 16 points to lead the Blue Devils, and Ben Richie chipped in 15.
Khari Hicks led four Imani Christian (4-6, 3-0) players in double figures with 23 points.
Indiana 72, Freeport 62 — Robbie Miller made seven 3-pointers during a 23-point performance for Freeport (4-6, 1-4), and Brendan Lynch added 20 points, but their combination was not enough to catch Indiana (10-3, 4-1) in Section 1-AAA action.
Riley Stapleton scored 21 points to lead the Little Indians, who led by 10 at halftime.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Foxes girls coach O’Shea inherits talented team
- Fox Chapel boys basketball team will rely on rotation for scoring
- Burrell girls work new faces into solid basketball nucleus
- McKeesport girls basketball team healthy, anxious to start new season
- Apollo-Ridge basketball wants fast pace this season
- Frazier grad Poling set to coach school’s girls basketball team
- Burrell boys basketball team moves to Class AAA, eager to compete
- 6-foot-8 transfer bolsters Cheswick Christian boys lineup
- Ford City, Kittanning winter teams look forward to ‘last ride’ before school merger
- Athletic McKeesport boys basketball team features new coach, up-tempo style