High school roundup: Rocco scores 40 in West Shamokin's victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Shamokin's boys basketball team spent the first month of the season searching for a statement win.
On Friday night, the Wolves might have found it.
Bolstered by Anthony Rocco's school-record 40-point performance, West Shamokin (6-6, 2-3) defeated Burrell, 74-69, in overtime at home. Rocco scored 11 of the Wolves' 13 points in the extra period of the Section 1-AA game.
Matt Marsh made his first and only field goal of the contest when he made a 3-pointer with 10 seconds left to force overtime.
Rocco then resumed his dominance, which ultimately included a 16-for-20 showing at the foul line.
Zane Clowser followed Rocco with 21 points for the Wolves, who led, 46-42, after three quarters. Clowser also grabbed nine rebounds.
Alex White scored 18 points to lead Burrell (9-3, 3-1), and Matt Hess added 16.
Summit Academy 83, Ford City 67 — Ford City (3-10, 0-4) led, 31-27, at halftime and trailed by one after three quarters, but the Sabers failed to keep pace in the final eight minutes of the Section 1-AA game.
David Lattanzio scored a team-high 23 points, and Jesse Sequeira added 15.
DaShaan Smith led four double-digit scorers with 29 points for Summit Academy (3-9, 2-3).
Imani Christian 84, Leechburg 53 — Leechburg (5-7, 1-2) trailed by nine at halftime but was outscored, 23-8, in the third quarter of the Section 4-A road game. Chris Swank scored 16 points to lead the Blue Devils, and Ben Richie chipped in 15.
Khari Hicks led four Imani Christian (4-6, 3-0) players in double figures with 23 points.
Indiana 72, Freeport 62 — Robbie Miller made seven 3-pointers during a 23-point performance for Freeport (4-6, 1-4), and Brendan Lynch added 20 points, but their combination was not enough to catch Indiana (10-3, 4-1) in Section 1-AAA action.
Riley Stapleton scored 21 points to lead the Little Indians, who led by 10 at halftime.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Deep roster sparks Butler boys basketball team
- Shady Side Academy torments Apollo-Ridge, moves to 3-0
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- Valley Independent roundup: Elizabeth Forward edges Ringgold in Section 4-AAA clash
- High school roundup: No. 4 Bethel Park boys edge Upper St. Clair
- GCC girls expect more after reaching WPIAL semifinals last year
- High school roundup: OLSH uses big 2nd half to surge past Quaker Valley