Jayhawks are 5-0 in section play this season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A week off in the middle of the season can be a welcomed time for an injured team or one that is struggling with its system.
For the Jeannette Jayhawks, it was somewhat of a speed bump.
The Jayhawks started slow last Thursday in their Section 3-AA matchup with Shady Side Academy, but surged in the second half to pull away from the Indians for their fifth section win in five tries.
Jeannette head coach Adrian Batts is not concerned with his team's less than stellar first half.
“I knew we'd start slow after having seven days between games,” said Batts. “We got into the locker room at half time and talked about getting beck to playing Jeannette basketball, and that's what we did in the second half.”
The Jayhawks led by six at the half, but began the second half with a 15-0 run that effectively ended the competitive portion of the game. Jeannette went on to an easy 62-35 win.
Seniors Duke Brown and Jordan Edmunds led the Jayhawks in scoring with 16 and 15 respectively.
The win kept Jeannette (5-0, 12-1) atop the section standings and keeps one of the team's 2012-13 goals in play — a perfect section record.
“That is definitely a goal of ours, to be undefeated in the section,” said Batts. “We know it will be tough with games on the road at Serra Catholic and Greensburg Central Catholic.”
Jeannette entered play this week ranked first or second in Class-AA by most media outlets. Batts knows his team will have a target on its back the rest of the way.
“We know that there will be pressure to play well every night, but that is what we want.”
The Jayhawks begin the second half of their section schedule Friday night with a home game against South Allegheny. The Jayhawks began the section schedule with a 30-point win on South Allegheny's floor Dec. 13.
GCC (5-0) (13-1)
Jeannette (5-0) (12-1)
Serra Catholic (3-2) (10-2)
South Allegheny (2-3) (5-8)
Shady Side (2-4) (4-10)
Riverview (1-4) (4-9)
Springdale (0-5) (2-10)
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Deep roster sparks Butler boys basketball team
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport
- Shady Side Academy torments Apollo-Ridge, moves to 3-0
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- High school roundup: No. 4 Bethel Park boys edge Upper St. Clair
- Greensburg Salem’s Oberdorf on early-season scoring binge
- GCC girls expect more after reaching WPIAL semifinals last year
- Daily News roundup: Plum deals McKeesport girls first loss