Girls remain unbeaten in section, sit at 2nd place
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeannette girls basketball experienced a rarity last Saturday in their matchup with Greensburg Salem in the Coaches vs. Cancer Backyard Brawlz event at Seton Hill University — someone besides Ciara Gregory led the team in scoring.
It was the first time this season that Gregory did not lead the Jayhawks in scoring as Jeannette fell to Greensburg Salem 64-45.
Gregory, the WPIAL's leading scorer averaging more than 30 points per game, scored only nine points against Greensburg Salem. Jeannette head coach LuAnn Mills has a perfectly good explanation for Gregory's bad game.
“Ciara had a bad game,” said Mills. “She missed an early layup, got mad and really took herself out of the game.”
Monique Redman led the Jayhawks with 22 — the only Jayhawk in double figures — and played well in the loss.
Despite the Greensburg Salem game, Jeannette had a successful week of action beating non-section foe Ford City last Tuesday, and then winning a Section 3-AA game against Shady Side Academy last Thursday to lift their section record to 5-0. The Jayhawks were 8-4 overall entering this week's action.
Gregory was very Gregory-like in both of those games scoring 33 against Ford City and netting 37 against Shady Side Academy.
Mills and the Jayhawks would like to see a more balanced scoring attack, or at least understand that Gregory is not the only offensive option on the floor, so Redman's performance against Greensburg Salem might serve to show her teammates that Redman is a very viable option in the offensive half-court.
Jeannette wraps up the first half of section play this week before starting the second half of the section schedule tonight with a home game against South Allegheny. Jeannette beat South Allegheny by 30 in the section opener on Dec. 13.
GCC (5-0) (10-3)
Jeannette (5-0) (8-4)
Shady Side (3-3) (5-8)
Riverview (2-3) (8-5)
Springdale (2-3) (5-8)
South Allegheny (1-4) (5-7)
East Allegheny (0-5) (1-10)
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Athletic McKeesport boys basketball team features new coach, up-tempo style
- McKeesport girls basketball team healthy, anxious to start new season
- Deer Lakes boys move into tough Class AAA section
- Deer Lakes girls basketball set for AAA competition
- Cheswick Christian girls have high expectations
- Burrell girls work new faces into solid basketball nucleus
- With starters back, Geibel boys basketball team expects big improvement
- Burrell boys basketball team moves to Class AAA, eager to compete
- Area basketball coaches start preparing teams