High school roundup: Upper St. Clair tops rival Mt. Lebanon on 3-pointer in overtime
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Joel Klein drained a 3-pointer with five seconds left in overtime to give Upper St. Clair a 51-50 win over Mt. Lebanon in Section 4-AAAA on Tuesday night.
Klein and teammate Jordan Grabowski each scored 18 points for the Panthers (10-3, 6-1). Tyler Roth scored 19 for Mt. Lebanon (6-9, 3-4), and Matt Hoffman and Jonny David each had 11.
New Castle 75, Hampton 54 — Malik Hooker scored 24 points, and Shawn Anderson added 22 for Class AAAA No. 1 New Castle (14-0, 7-0) in its Section 3 rout. Ryan Luther led Hampton (11-3, 4-3) with a game-high 30 points.
North Allegheny 73, North Hills 59 — Five players were in double figures as No. 4 North Allegheny won in Section 3-AAAA. Sean Hennigan and Joe Mancini had 14 points for the Tigers (12-1, 6-1).
Shaler 66, Pine-Richland 60 — Penn State recruit Geno Thorpe scored a game-high 30 points to lead Shaler (7-7, 1-6) in Section 3-AAAA.
Central Catholic 67, Fox Chapel 62 — David Urso scored a game-high 21 points, including four 3-pointers, for Central Catholic (9-5, 5-2) in its Section 2-AAAA win. Nate Huwar led Fox Chapel (10-4, 5-2) with 19 points.
Bethel Park 63, Baldwin 48 — Joey Mascaro scored 14 points, and Wyatt Hagerty had 12 for Class AAAA No. 3 Bethel Park (12-1, 7-0) in its Section 4 win. A.J. Greco led Baldwin (4-10, 1-6) with 19 points, and Jake Michaels added 18.
Blackhawk 44, Beaver 42 — Chase Migliore hit the game-winning layup with two seconds left as Blackhawk (6-7, 4-2) upset Class AAA No. 1 Beaver (12-1, 5-1) in Section 2.
Chartiers Valley 50, South Fayette 46 — Spencer Casson scored 13 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead Class AAA No. 3 Chartiers Valley (12-1, 6-0) to a Section 5 win. C.J. Rudisill led South Fayette (9-3, 5-1) with 15.
Thomas Jefferson 52, West Mifflin 47 — Ryan Maha scored 27 points for Class AAA No. 5 West Mifflin (9-3, 5-1), but it was not enough as Thomas Jefferson (10-3, 6-0) won in Section 4.
Greensburg Central Catholic 65, Jeannette 61 — Zach Herman scored 26 points and Christian Hyland hit a go-ahead 3-point shot with 45 seconds left to lift No. 3 Greensburg Central Catholic (14-1, 6-0) to a victory over No. 2 Jeannette (12-2, 5-1) in a battle of Section 3-AA leaders.
Vincentian 81, Sewickley Academy 55 — Class A No. 1 Vincentian outscored Sewickley Academy, 18-6, in the fourth quarter en route to its Section 2-A win. Ryan Wolf led Vincentian (12-1, 4-0) with 18 points.
Lincoln Park 85, Union 57 — Elijah Minnie scored a game-high 25 points and grabbed 20 rebounds as Class A No. 3 Lincoln Park (9-4, 4-0) won in Section 1.
North Catholic 62, Quigley 61 — Dan Savulchak scored 19 of his game-high 22 points in the second half as Class A No. 4 North Catholic (9-5, 3-1) won in Section 2. Nate Lieb led Quigley (7-8, 1-3) with 22 points with 16 coming in the second half.
Chartiers Valley 46, Fox Chapel 30 — Mariah Wells scored 13 points, and Jenna Devinney added 12, all on 3-pointers, to lead Class AAAA No. 3 Chartiers Valley (9-4) to a nonsection victory.
• George Smith appears to be in line to return to his former post as the head football coach at McKeesport.
Smith, who spent 28 years coaching the Tigers before suddenly resigning in 2010, is likely to be hired at the school board's Jan. 23 meeting.
School board member Chris Halaszynski posted on his Facebook page Monday: “Restoring Tiger Pride Back to McKeesport High School. Welcome Back Coach Smith!!!”
Smith won 197 games, two WPIAL and two state titles.
• Deer Lakes hired T.J. Wiley as its head football coach Tuesday night. Wiley spent the last two seasons as head coach at Northgate, where the Flames went 10-9. He also was the head coach at Penn-Trafford for one season (2009) before resigning.
• North Allegheny coach Art Walker was named the National High School Football Coach of the Year by National Sports News Service. Walker led the Tigers to a 16-0 record this season, which included WPIAL and PIAA championships in Class AAAA.
• South Allegheny senior lineman Ryan Bednar made a verbal commitment to The Citadel.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kiski Area boys ready for encore
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- Class AAAA girls basketball preview: Penn-Trafford welcomes doubters as it begins WPIAL title defense
- After struggling in Class AA, Serra boys basketball welcomes move down classificiation
- Kiski Area girls brace for rough season
- Despite youth, Serra girls basketball team remains optimistic for postseason
- Norwin boys basketball looks to use fast pace, deep bench
- Southmoreland girls hoops team optimistic
- Fox Chapel boys out to replace pair of 1,000-point scorers
- Penn-Trafford boys basketball returning experienced roster
- Brentwood Boosters’ annual tip-off tournament set for Dec. 5-6