High school roundup: Elizabeth Forward boys surging in Section 4-AAA
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Don't look now, but here comes Elizabeth Forward.
The Warriors won their seventh consecutive game with a 66-56 win over Steel Valley to move into third place in Section 4-AAA.
JaQuan Davidson scored a game-high 33 points, while Jalen French added 16 for Elizabeth Forward (10-6, 4-3).
Steel Valley (8-6, 3-4) got 19 points from Ajan Smith and 15 from Dorian Broadwater, but it wasn't enough as the Ironmen dropped their fourth straight.
Serra 61, Riverview 50 — Serra Catholic used a 22-11 opening quarter to set the tone in a Section 3-AA victory over Riverview.
The Raiders outscored Serra Catholic in the second half, 30-27, but the comeback bid fell short.
Joe Satira led Serra Catholic (12-2, 5-2) with 22 points, and George Prota registered 21. Sam Gonsowski led the Raiders with 23 points.
Hempfield 56, Norwin 50 — Hempfield (11-4, 5-2) got 20 from Kason Harrell and 12 from Tyler Handlan to beat Norwin (8-6, 5-2) and jump into a first-place tie in Section 1-AAAA.
Norwin was paced by Matt Stewart's 23.
Jeannette 51, South Allegheny 40 — Jerion Lewis hit five 3-pointers for 15 points, and Kordell Thompson added 15, but South Allegheny dropped a Section 3-AA game to host Jeannette (13-2, 6-1).
Plum 37, Woodland Hills 34 — Nick Stotler hit a game-winning 3-pointer with less than two seconds left as Plum swept Woodland Hills (4-11, 0-8) in Section 2-AAAA.
Stotler finished with a game-high 25 points. Brian Baker paced Woodland Hills with 11.
West Mifflin 74, East Allegheny 64 — West Mifflin improved to 11-3 and 6-1 in Section 4-AAA with a hard-fought win at East Allegheny (7-8, 3-4).
Yough 69, Greensburg Salem 52 — Ben D'Amico scored 21 and Kirk Brown 13 as Yough (6-9, 3-4) picked up a Section 3-AAA win.
Fox Chapel 57, McKeesport 41 — Fox Chapel jumped to a 36-16 halftime lead and coasted to a Section 2-AAAA victory over McKeesport (6-10, 0-7).
Erin Mathias led the Foxes (11-4, 6-1) with 24 points and 11 rebounds.
Alexa Yaksich contributed 12 points and nine rebounds, while Taylor Cohen dished out seven assists and had seven steals.
Kasey Dansak led McKeesport with nine points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Quaker Valley girls ‘up to the challenege’ of reaching WPIAL playoffs
- Time to shine for new-look West Shamokin boys basketball team
- Youth movement takes next step for St. Joseph girls
- West Shamokin girls basketball eyes another playoff run with new coach
- Streak on the line for St. Joseph boys
- WPIAL AAAA girls basketball preview: Reigning WPIAL champ Norwin hoping to lock down on defensive end
- Soutmoreland girls basketball team primary goal: playoffs
- WPIAL AAAA boys basketball preview: Runners-up last season, North Allegheny hopes to take next step
- Sewickley Academy girls embrace the unknown
- Leechburg girls set out to build on breakout season
- Plum girls basketball team looking to take next step