Local roundup: Ford City tops Apollo-Ridge in OT
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the halfway point of Section 1-AA play, the playoff picture is a mess, thanks in no small part to Ford City's overtime stunner over Apollo-Ridge Tuesday night.
Jesse Sequeira completed a three-point play with 2.6 seconds left to lift the Sabers (4-10, 1-4) to a 51-48 home victory over the Vikings (10-3, 3-2), who trailed by eight after the first quarter but outscored Ford City, 23-9, in the second.
Andrew Labutka and David Lattanzio each scored 14 points to lead the Sabers. Labutka made four 3-pointers, and Lattanzio had two. Blake Bower grabbed 10 rebounds.
Tre Tipton scored 14 points for Apollo-Ridge and Evan Davis added 12, all of which came from 3-pointers.
Apollo-Ridge and Burrell sit in a tie for second place in the section; Burrell holds the head-to-head tiebreaker. Deer Lakes leads the section with a 4-1 record. And West Shamokin and Summit Academy are tied for fourth; Summit Academy holds the head-to-head edge.
Freeport 49, Highlands 48 — Brendan Lynch, fouled while taking a shot from beyond the 3-point arc, made one out of his three attempts at the line with 1.8 seconds left to give Freeport (5-6, 2-4) the Section 1-AAA win. He finished with 18 points, as did teammate Robbie Miller.
Kaison Branch scored 12 points, and Aquelay Frison added 10 for Highlands (0-14, 0-6), which led, 27-19, at halftime.
Leechburg 54, Trinity Christian 39 — Ahead by two points after three quarters, Leechburg (6-7, 2-2) surged in the fourth quarter for the Section 4-A win. Chris Swank led the Blue Devils with 19 points and 14 rebounds. Jacob Iellimo and Ben Ritchie each scored 11 points, and Iellimo also grabbed 13 rebounds.
John Wallace scored 18 points for Trinity Christian (2-10, 0-4).
West Shamokin 66, Homer-Center 59 — Jill Glover scored 31 points, grabbed 16 rebounds and had four steals for West Shamokin (7-7) in the nonsection win. Alisha Johnston and Tristan Cribbs each added 10 points.
Freeport 5, Westmont Hilltop 4 — Freeport (10-2-1) jumped out to a 3-0 lead six minutes into the game and held off a late rally by Westmont Hilltop (8-4-1) for the Class A win.
Justin Drzemiecki, Nicholas Zidek and Cole Hepler each had a goal and an assist, while Devin Christy had two assists for Freeport. Matt Huston made 29 saves.
Sebastian Ragno finished with 24 saves for Westmont Hilltop.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Class AAAA boys basketball preview: After 1st playoff win since 2003, Hempfield boys hope to advance in postseason
- Kittanning boys basketball shoots for 4th straight playoff trip in program’s final season
- Kittanning girls basketball team return its core
- Thomas Jefferson girls bring hard-nosed play, intangibles to the court
- Mt. Pleasant girls basketball coach eager to start season with versatile team
- After struggling in Class AA, Serra boys basketball welcomes move down in classification
- Class AAAA girls basketball preview: Penn-Trafford welcomes doubters as it begins WPIAL title defense
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- Penn-Trafford boys basketball returning experienced roster
- Thomas Jefferson boys basketball team has high expectations
- Kiski Area boys ready for encore