High school roundup: Central Catholic wrestling edges Plum
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Vincenzo Joseph (126) pounds, Chris Nuss (145), Kyle Coniker (152) and Zach Deluca (220) each had pins to lead playoff-bound Central Catholic (4-1, 4-1) to a 37-30 win over Plum in Class AAA, Section 3-B on Wednesday. Plum earned forfeits at the three lightweight classes and got a pin from Stephen Turchick at heavyweight.
Burrell 36, Valley 34 — In Class AA, Section 3-B, No. 2 Burrell (7-3, 4-0) got pins from Steven Edwards (145 pounds), Phil Marra (152) and Dakota DesLauriers (182) en route to victory.
Valley (7-2, 2-2) got pins from Jihad Ratliff (106), C.J. Ragins (138) and Terrell Fields (195).
Yough 48, Southmoreland 22 — In Class AA, Section 2-B, JP Sommers (138 pounds), Doug Stange (145), Mike Anderson (152) and Clay Waldren (160) scored pins to lead No. 4 Yough (13-1, 5-0). Jacob Virgin (126) had a pin for Southmoreland (2-3, 2-3).
Central Valley 48, Mohawk 27 — Brian Kolich scored 14 points to lead Central Valley (11-4) to a nonsection win over Mohawk (7-7).
Baldwin 62, Thomas Jefferson 50 — Jake Michaels, who finished with 19 points, was one of four players to score in double figures for Baldwin (6-10) in a nonsection win. Arnes Bajgora (17), AJ Greco (12) and Shane Perko (11) were the other three players to reach double figures for Baldwin.
Thomas Jefferson (10-4) was led by Joe Carroll's 18 points.
Northgate 42, Brentwood 30 — Darrell Barron and Taymon Russell scored 15 points each to lead Northgate (9-5) to a nonsection victory. Brentwood (7-7) was led by Jason Pilarski's 13 points.
Mapletown 64, West Greene 30 — Dana White recorded a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds to lead Mapletown (4-10) to a nonsection win over West Greene (0-11). Derrick Riggleman scored 23 points, while Eric Atwood added 14 points.
Elizab eth Forward 55, Mt. Pleasant 38 — Alison Pastore scored 11 points to lead Class AAA No. 4 Elizabeth Forward (12-1) to a nonsection win. Kylie Owoc added 10 points, while Mt. Pleasant (7-7) was led by Casey Zelenak's 12 points.
Springdale 44, Leechburg 21 — Sydney Smajda scored 10 points and had 10 steals to lead Springdale (7-8) to a nonsection win.
Amanda Koprivnikar finished with 12 points, while Leechburg (0-13) was led by Missy Jones' 12 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike