High School Roundup: Shorthanded Valley comes up big
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It's usual shorthanded self, Valley's girls basketball team put together its second win of the season, beating Freeport with five players Monday in Section 1-AAA play.
Valley overcame a five-point halftime deficit to down Freeport, 53-51, as sophomore Kaylyn Iacopino scored 20 points and Lashay Madison added 19 for the Vikings (2-9, 2-6).
Madison made good on 9 of 10 free throws.
“That was a really good experience for the girls,” Valley coach Jeff Cheatham said. “For the first time we had a practice with all five players there for the last two days and that made a difference. It paid off.”
Zoe Soilis scored a season-high 20 to lead Freeport (6-9, 4-4).
Kittanning 46, Knoch 32 — Emily Knepshield recorded 12 points for the Wildcats (8-8, 6-2), and Alaina Thomas chipped in 10 as Kittanning defeated Knoch (3-12, 2-6) for their second straight Section 1-AAA win.
Kittanning used a 17-6 second-quarter run to take a 10-point lead into halftime.
Sam Logan and Allie Megahan led Knoch with eight points each.
St. Joseph 44, Ellis School 20 — Mallory Heinle returned to the lineup from an ankle injury to score 18 points and convert 8 of 8 free throws for St. Joseph (7-7, 4-4) in a Section 2-AA road win over Ellis School (4-10, 2-6). The Spartans also got 10 points, nine rebounds and five assists from Amanda Klawinski.
Springdale 57, East Allegheny 33 — Springdale (9-8, 4-3) rolled to an early lead and cruised to a Section 3-AA win over East Allegheny (1-13, 0-8). The Dynamos led, 38-4, at halftime.
Amanda Koprivnikar led all scorers with 13 points, and Sydney Smajda had 12 for Springdale (9-8, 4-3).
Deer Lakes 44, Ford City 27 — Becca Babincak scored her 1,000th career point and finished with 21 points for Deer Lakes (12-2, 5-1) in the Section 1-AA win over Ford City (8-7, 4-4).
Danielle Kearns scored 10 points, eight blocks, and 11 steals for the Lancers (12-2, 5-1). Allyson Cujas led Ford City with nine points.
Deer Lakes 43, Springfield Local (Ohio) 33 — Tim Jaczesko hit four 3-pointers and scored a game-high 19 points, and J.J. Kowalkowski added 14 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Lancers (10-5) to a win in the Youngstown Showcase.
Jaczesko added five steals and five assists in the win.
Leechburg 60, United 52 — Randy Smail led Leechburg with 15 points, and Chris Swank added 14 and 11 rebounds for Leechburg (7-8) in a non-section win over United (0-15).
Jacob Iellimo added 12 points and 14 rebounds for Leechburg.
Deer Lakes 11, Bishop McCort 3 — Thomas Lisowski and Mitchel Rupprecht both recorded hat tricks for Deer Lakes in a Class A win over Bishop McCort.
Rupprecht had four points total in the contest. Zach Luniewski scored two goals and notched three assists for the Lancers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kiski Area boys ready for encore
- Class AAAA girls basketball preview: Penn-Trafford welcomes doubters as it begins WPIAL title defense
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- After struggling in Class AA, Serra boys basketball welcomes move down classificiation
- Despite youth, Serra girls basketball team remains optimistic for postseason
- Kiski Area girls brace for rough season
- Shady Side boys seek return to postseason
- Penn-Trafford boys basketball returning experienced roster
- Keystone Oaks boys hoops coach focused on changing program’s culture
- Norwin boys basketball looks to use fast pace, deep bench
- Fox Chapel girls prepare for life without state’s player of the year