High school roundup: Freeport boys fall to Knoch in 2OT
TribLIVE Sports Videos
In front of its home crowd, Freeport's boys basketball team just barely missed out on a season-changing victory Friday night.
The Yellowjackets lost to Knoch, 64-63, in double overtime. Brendan Lynch fueled the offense with 31 points, 10 of which came at the foul line and nine of which came on 3-pointers.
Robbie Miller added 15 points for Freeport (5-7, 2-5), which was tied with Knoch, 41-41, after three quarters.
David Gallagher scored 19 points to lead the Knights (9-5, 4-3), who strengthened their hold on fourth place in Section 1-AAA.
Kittanning 48, Highlands 41 — Kevin Barnes scored a game-high 20 points, and Sterling Henry added 10 for Kittanning (12-2, 5-2), which led, 17-8, after the first quarter of the Section 1-AAA game. Kaison Branch led Highlands (0-16, 0-7) with 13 points, and Aquelay Frison contributed 10.
Apollo-Ridge 66, Summit Academy 63 — Tre Tipton, Alex Smith and Josh Reynolds each scored 14 points for Apollo-Ridge (12-3, 4-2), which held off an upset bid by Summit Academy (4-10, 2-4) in Section 1-AA. Lucas Burrell chipped in 12 points for the Vikings, who led, 34-29, at halftime.
Doug Brooks poured in 22 points for Summit Academy, including three 3-pointers.
St. Joseph 78, Leechburg 71 — Ben Ritchie made five 3-pointers during a 26-point night, and Jake Iellimo and Chris Swank added 22 and 13, respectively, for Leechburg (6-8, 2-3), which trailed, 40-28, at halftime of the Section 4-A contest.
John Arcuri made 22 of 27 free throws and finished with a career-high 41 points for St. Joseph (7-9, 3-2).
The game included 57 fouls.
West Shamokin 56, Union-Rimersburg 42 — Jill Glover scored a game-high 21 points, and Tristan Cribbs made four 3-pointers as part of a 14-point night for West Shamokin (8-8), which led, 31-7, at halftime in the nonsection game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Playoff tickets punched for some local hoop teams
- Ligonier Valley’s 3-sports standout nearing 1,000 career points
- East Allegheny girls getting used to winning with underclassmen
- Mt. Pleasant girls basketball team defeats Southmoreland, 67-30
- HS highlight reel: Moon names new football coach
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem tops Mt. Lebanon
- Monessen girls end skid with 41-15 win
- Serra Catholic’s Sieg learning to lead in senior season
- Neither coach happy after Monessen beats Avella by 90 points
- High school roundup: Upper St. Clair holds off rival Bethel Park
- High school basketball roundup: Chartiers Valley routs Lincoln Park