High school roundup: TJ girls win third straight section game
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Thomas Jefferson defeated Brownsville, 66-52, to win its third consecutive Section 4-AAA game to move with a game of second place.
The Lady Jaguars (7-9, 4-3) opened up a 15-5 first-quarter lead en route to the victory.
Jesse Hinkle led all scorers with 15 points, while Alexis Yanief and Courtney Zoglmann added 11 each.
Hempfield 50, Norwin 42 — Rachel Keto's 12 points weren't enough as Hempfield (14-2, 9-0) used a big third quarter to remain in first place in Section 1-AAAA with a home win over Norwin (8-8, 6-3). Hempfield outscored Norwin, 18-11, in the decisive third quarter.
Uniontown 75, Yough 17 — Danesha Harris scored 16 points as Uniontown (12-2, 7-1) had little problem with Yough (6-11, 1-7) in Section 3-AAA.
Springdale 57, East Allegheny 33 — Springdale raced to a 38-4 halftime lead en route to a Section 3-AA win over East Allegheny (1-13, 0-8). Amanda Koprivnikar led Springdale (9-8, 4-3) with 13 points, while EA got nine from Ashley Hardner.
Bishop Canevin 66, Steel Valley 39 — Steel Valley got outscored, 18-6, in the second quarter to fall behind Bishop Canevin 36-16 and lost a key Section 3-AA game. Erin Waskowiak paced Canevin (14-2, 7-1) with 25, while Lacy Gori led Steel Valley (9-5, 4-3) with 10.
Serra 85, Northgate 24 — Serra led, 31-4, after the first quarter and cruised to its 12th straight victory with a non-section win at Northgate. Nicole Pero scored 15 and Megan Sieg 11 to pace Serra (13-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: Pine-Richland squad wins PIAA spirit title
- HS highlight reel: Softball standouts make commitment to Marist
- Neither coach happy after Monessen beats Avella by 90 points
- Snyder taking his best shot for Seneca Valley
- Knoch boys adjusting after losing point guard Hannes to injury
- High school roundup: Upper St. Clair holds off rival Bethel Park
- Quaker Valley guard Oliver thrives after years of adversity
- Trib Cup: Quaker Valley boys again off to fast start
- Connellsville holds off Kiski Area for big win
- Highlands uses defense to key victory over Knoch
- Hempfield girls basketball team working to improve during season’s 2nd half