Short-handed Charleroi boys bow to South Allegheny
TribLIVE Sports Videos
One night after winning a tough, three-overtime decision over Beth-Center, Charleroi suffered a disappointing non-section loss to South Allegheny.
Playing without starters Eric Johnson and Sheldon Linneman, Charleroi was defeated, 48-43.
South Allegheny (6-11) outscored the Cougars 17-9 in the fourth quarter to pull out the win.
Charleroi (10-5) had three players in double figures, led by Jim Diaz with 15 points while Matt Indorante had 13 and Ryan Konek added 12.
The Gladiators got a game-high 25 points from Kordell Thompson.
Charleroi hosts West Greene Friday.
Frazier 73, Geibel 63
The Commodores (4-10) picked up their fourth win as Charles Manack scored 22 points, Roger Cline 14, Paul Pellick 12 and Vincent Bucci 11.
Geibel (2-12) was led by Aaron Agostoni with a game-high 23 points.
Carmichaels 74, Bentworth 65
The Mikes (13-3) won as Brandon Lawless (23) and Sean Smoggie (20) combined for 43 points.
The Bearcats (6-10) got 22 points from Chris Blackburn, 20 from Cody Levine and 12 from Zach Rober.
GirlsFrazier 51, California 37
The Lady Trojans (12-4) lost the non-section game to the Lady Commodores (8-7) despite getting a game-high 17 points from Courtnee McMasters.
“We just couldn't match the intensity,” said California coach Chris Minerd. “Frazier wanted it more. Their girls played the way I want our team to play with an in-your-face aggressive style.”
Frazier was led by Lauren Timko with 16 points.
California goes to Jefferson-Morgan tonight while Frazier hosts Monessen Friday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Monessen-Jeannette: Who gets the gold?
- Big start carries Cal into state playoffs
- Sophomore stars carry Beaver Falls to 3rd finals appearance in 4 seasons
- Late-blooming Penn Hills girls restoring WPIAL championship glory
- WPIAL finalists feature skilled scorers, playmakers on perimeter
- Highlands can’t recover from turnovers in playoff loss to South Fayette
- Nine Leps still alive in WPIAL championships
- Fueled by comeback victories, Class A finalists Jeannette, Monessen set for showdown
- Gorman: Indiana’s run high on heart
- Serra Catholic girls advance to 5th-place game
- Late 3-pointer sends Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic girls to finals