High school roundup: East Allegheny gets critical victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
East Allegheny still has a chance at qualifying for the WPIAL Class AAA playoffs, but to do so the Wildcats will need quite a few more nights like they had in a nonsection game against Yough.
Joel Randolph had a season-high 28 points, and Jordan Williams chipped in 17 to lead East Allegheny (8-9) to an 80-38 rolling-clock romp over the Cougars. The Wildcats sit in fifth place in Section 4-AAA, one game behind Elizabeth Forward and Steel Valley.
Yough (6-11) was led by Dom Niele with 17.
Brashear 77, Serra Catholic 69 — The Eagles stayed with the Class AAAA team out of the City league for three quarters before the Bulls came from behind in the final period.
Joe Satira led Serra Catholic (12-3) with a game-high 33 points.
Norwin 54, Connellsville 40 — In Section 1-AAAA, Alayna Gribble had 21 points to lead Norwin (9-8, 7-3) to victory. Saiah Mickens had 17 points for the Falcons (6-12, 1-9).
Yough 40, Southmoreland 35 — In Section 3-AAA, Natalie Peebles scored 17 points, and Samantha Miller had the final six points off the bench as Yough (7-11, 2-7) captured a win. Julea Claycomb had 12 points for Southmoreland (3-16, 0-9).
Greensburg Central Catholic 66, South Allegheny 14 — Carolyn Appleby had 15 points as Greensburg Central Catholic (12-4, 7-1) scored a Section 3-AA win.
Steel Valley 55, Chartiers-Houston 54 (OT) — CeCe Dixon hit a clutch 3-pointer to send the game to overtime then scored three of the team's seven overtime points to help the Ironmen avoid the upset.
Dixon led Steel Valley (10-7, 4-4) with a game-high 26 points.
Serra Catholic 82, Geibel 15 — Leslie Hoye scored 11 points to lead three Serra Catholic players in double figures in a running-clock win over Geibel (2-14, 0-5).
Serra Catholic (14-2, 6-0), which had won 12 consecutive games before dropping a non-section matchup to Class AAA Belle Vernon, remains two games in front of Winchester Thurston in Section 4-A.
Winchester Thurston 51, Clairton 36 — The Bears (5-9, 2-4) had an opportunity to inch closer to clinching a WPIAL Class A playoff berth, but, instead, Lexi LoNero scored a game-high 23 points to keep Winchester Thurston (8-6, 4-2) right behind Serra Catholic in Section 4-A.
Kamara Townes led Clairton with 15 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blairsville boys claim District 6 title
- McConnell’s 34 points fuel Chartiers Valley’s come-from-behind victory in Class AAA title game
- Allderdice boys advance to PIAA tournament
- Playoff experience could pay dividends for Butler basketball team
- Indiana boys beat Beaver Falls for 1st WPIAL basketball title
- Undefeated Aliquippa downs Seton-La Salle for WPIAL Class AA title
- Blackhawk girls top South Fayette to repeat as WPIAL Class AAA champs
- Seton-La Salle girls defeat rival Bishop Canevin to capture 7th WPIAL title
- Monessen boys capture yet another WPIAL basketball title
- Oliver: It takes a lot to be a Greyhound
- Monessen downs Jeannette to win WPIAL Class A championship