Charleroi holds off S. Side Beaver
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Charleroi's girls' basketball team kept on winning in Section 5 AA Thursday night.
But it wasn't easy.
The host Lady Cougars defeated South Side Beaver, 44-41 in a game that was tight down the stretch.
Mia Woytovich scored seven points in the fourth quarter and Rachel Ritzer was 6-for-6 at the foul line in the final minute to seal the win for the Lady Cougars. Woytovich and Ritzer led Charleroi (13-5, 8-1) in scoring with 12 and 10 points, respectively.
SSB (6-11, 4-5) got 15 points from Sam Gibson. However, Charleroi outscored the losers 12-0 in the second quarter.
Charleroi had to go deep into its bench because of injuries and foul problems, and finished the game with three reserves on the court.
West Mifflin 51, Ringgold 42
The Lady Rams (7-9, 4-5) struggled at the foul line, making just three of 14 free throws in the game.
The Lady Rams fell behind 17-8 after the first quarter and it was an uphill game the rest of the way,
West Mifflin (7-9, 6-2) got a game-high 21 points from Taylor Thomas and 12 from Marla Small.
Ringgold was paced by Eleni Radic with 11 points and Sheila Crews with 10.
Elizabeth Forward 54, Thomas Jefferson 46
The Lady Warriors (16-1, 8-0) kept their hold on Section 4 AAA as Natalie Fekula scored 12 points, grabbed 13 rebounds and blocked seven shots.
Also for EF, Alison Pastore had 11 points and Dana Buck 10.
TJ (7-10, 4-4) was led by Alexis Yanis with 13 points and Jessica Hinkle with 11.
California 53, Jeff-Morgan 47
California (13-4, 4-2) rebounded from a tough loss to Frazier by beating Jefferson-Morgan (6-10, 2-4) in Section 3 A.
Cal won by outscoring the hosts 19-7 in the fourth quarter.
With the Lady Trojans up by one, Olivia Helmick hit a three-pointer and got fouled with three minutes left. She was injured on the play and Alesha Haschets came in and made the free throw.
Courtnee McMasters had a game-high 22 points for the Lady Trojans and Natalie Baron added 17.
J-M was led by Kayla Yorko with 14 points and Ally Bogden with 12.
Yough 40, Southmoreland 35
The Lady Cougars (7-11, 2-7) outscored Southmoreland 16-9 in the final quarter to earn the win as Natalie Peebles and Larisa Tall had 17 and 13 points, respectively.
Southmoreland (3-16, 0-9) was paced by Julia Claycomb with 12 points.
BoysEast Allegheny 80, Yough 36
The Cougars (6-11) were hammered in the non-section game as EA (8-9) got 28 points from Joel Randolph and 17 from Jordan Williams.
Yough was led by Dom Miele with 17 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Athletic McKeesport boys basketball team features new coach, up-tempo style
- Deer Lakes boys move into tough Class AAA section
- McKeesport girls basketball team healthy, anxious to start new season
- Deer Lakes girls basketball set for AAA competition
- Apollo-Ridge basketball wants fast pace this season
- Frazier grad Poling set to coach school’s girls basketball team
- Cheswick Christian girls have high expectations
- Area basketball coaches start preparing teams
- Oliver: Monessen’s Salvino pushing to achieve success
- Apollo-Ridge girls aim to repeat strong start, avoid lapses this season
- 6-foot-8 transfer bolsters Cheswick Christian boys lineup