High school roundup: West Shamokin girls clinch playoff berth
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Now a winner of three straight, West Shamokin's girls basketball team is rolling with the postseason right around the corner.
The Wolves moved one step closer to their second playoff berth in program history with a 37-36 victory on the road over Apollo-Ridge Thursday night. West Shamokin (10-8, 4-4), which can finish no lower than fourth in Section 1-AA, trailed by six after the first quarter but led, 18-17, at the half.
Jill Glover scored 15 points to lead the Wolves, and Lizzy Cornish added 10.
Ashley Emminger finished with a team-high 10 points for Apollo-Ridge (9-7, 2-5).
Burrell 40, Ford City 19 — Burrell (11-2, 6-0) shut out Ford City (8-7, 4-4) in the first quarter of the Section 1-AA contest.
Kelsey Oddis scored a game-high 10 points for the Lady Bucs.
Allyson Cujas and Christina Davis each had six points for Ford City, which is tied with West Shamokin in the section standings but holds the head-to-head advantage.
Valley 59, Kittanning 49 — Emily Knepshield scored a game-high 29 points for Kittanning (8-10, 6-3), which trailed, 33-18, at halftime in the Section 1-AAA game.
Kristea Smith led Valley (3-9, 3-6) with 23 points, and Kaylyn Iacopino and LaShay Madison added 16 and 13, respectively.
Even with the loss, Kittanning remains in third place in the section, two games ahead of Freeport.
Mars 71, Freeport 30 — Mars (12-6, 7-1) scored 28 points in the first quarter and cruised to a Section 1-AAA home win over Freeport (6-10, 4-5).
Zoe Sollis, Dana Jack and Macy Smolic each scored seven points for the Yellowjackets, who have a one-game lead over Valley for fourth place in the section.
Kittanning 9, South Park 3 — David Contrael had a hat trick, and Cody Toy and Christian Miller each added two for Kittanning (9-4-1) in the Class A win at South Park (4-12).
Kittanning received the No. 6 seed in the WPIAL Class AA team wrestling tournament after placing second in the Section 3-AA competition to Burrell, which received the No. 1 spot in the pairings. The Wildcats will square off with West Greene on Wednesday at Jefferson-Morgan High School.
Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that West Shamokin's girls basketball team clinched a berth in the WPIAL playoffs. It was still possible for West Shamokin to miss the playoffs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kiski Area’s playoff hopes are still alive despite latest loss to Norwin
- High school roundup: WPIAL coaches reach milestone victories
- Defensive strategy sparks New Castle in win over Ambridge
- Late run seals WPIAL playoff berth for Highlands
- Ford City defeats South Allegheny, clinches playoff spot
- McCallister’s 14 points lead Steel Valley past Thomas Jefferson
- Ligonier Valley’s 3-sports standout nearing 1,000 career points
- Mars girls basketball team goes on defensive
- Underclassmen standouts help Sewickley Academy
- HS highlight reel: PIAA approves Clairton sanctions
- Health the key to Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic girls’ season