SSA girls win one, lose one
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy girls basketball team beat South Allegheny, 37-32, in Section 3-AA action on Jan. 22.
The Indians led 18-17 at the half and increased their advantage to 37-33 after three quarters.
Gabby Harchelroad led the Indians with 10 points.
“It wasn't a pretty win but it was a win,” SSA coach Audrey Scott said. “We did what we had to do.”
The Indians couldn't sustain the momentum as they traveled to Riverview on Thursday and lost by a score of 61-37.
The Indians were in the game for a half and trailed by 24-20 after two quarters.
The Raiders outscored SSA by 16-9 in the third to break it open. Harchelroad had 15 points.
“This is the way that our season has been going,” Scott said. “We just don't have any type of consistency.
“We have to start putting a string of good games together. We still have our sights set on making the playoffs but we have to play better than this.”
FC girls hoops
The Fox Chapel girls basketball team picked up a pair of section wins last week as they continued their march to the playoffs.
The Foxes crushed Franklin Regional, 73-43, on Jan. 22.
Coach Meghan Meabon's team rolled to a 46-17 halftime lead.
Erin Mathias led all scorers with 18 points while Taylor Cohen scored 17 and Kayla Slovenec scored a dozen.
The Foxes hosted Woodland Hills on Saturday and cruised to a 69-45 win.
The game was close at the half with the Foxes holding a 29-24 edge.
They outscored the Wolverines, 15-8, in the third quarter and 25-13 in the final period.
Mathias was a force on offense and on the boards as she scored 19 points and snared 20 rebounds. Anna Palumbo scored 17, including three 3-pointers. Slovenec scored 13 and Alexa Yaksich scored 12.
The Foxes are now 13-4 and 8-1 in Section 2-AAAA.
“It was a good week,” Meabon said. “We're getting key contributions from a lot of different players.
“Our focus is on one game at a time. We're in a good position in the section but we've got some big games left.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Deep roster sparks Butler boys basketball team
- Defensive play fueling Mars boys basketball team
- Butler girls basketball team earning narrow victories
- West Mifflin edges late-charging Steel Valley in Section 4 contest
- Shady Side Academy torments Apollo-Ridge, moves to 3-0
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport
- High school roundup: No. 4 Bethel Park boys edge Upper St. Clair
- Daily News roundup: Plum deals McKeesport girls first loss
- Connellsville girls basketball team loses to Latrobe, 49-46
- Several A-K Valley basketball schools face new surroundings this season