Charleroi to dedicate renovated gym, celebrate history
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Big doings are planned for Friday night at Charleroi High School's gymnasium.
Not only will there will be a girls'/boys' basketball doubleheader, the district will dedicate its renovated gym and new banners.
As part of the occasion, the district is also bringing back some of its past section championship boys' and girls' teams as part of the festivities.
Invited for the event are the boys' section champs from 1984, 1989 and 1996 and girls' section champs from 1987, 1990 and 2000.
In addition, Charleroi Athletic Director Bill Wiltz said all boys' and girls' 1,000-point scorers are also invited back and will be recognized.
New banners for the section champions, as well as the 1,000-point scorers will be hung in the gym.
Wiltz said the district has tried to reach out to all the people included in the above lists.
“We are certain that some team members and coaches may have been missed due to address changes,” Wiltz said. “All team members who did not get an invitation are certainly invited to attend (Friday).”
Wiltz said that response to the reunion has been “outstanding.”
“We were actually excited by the positive response. We are hopeful to have over 75 alumni returning,” he said.
There will be a pre-game reception for all the honored guests in the district's new alumni room. Along with on-court recognition of those returning, Wiltz said a post-game reunion is planned.
The gym was renovated in 2011 as part of a multi-million dollar construction project that included a new football stadium and a nearby auxiliary gymnasium.
The Charleroi girls (13-6, 8-2) will play Burgettstown (1-16, 1-8) in the 6 p.m. opener in a Section 5 AA game and the Charleroi boys (10-6, 8-2) will square off with Frazier (4-10, 2-6) in a Section 5 AA battle at 7:30 p.m.
“We hope as many fans as possible show up to not only support our teams, but also to enjoy our facilities and help honor our past section champions during this festive occasion,” Wiltz said.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: No. 2 CW North Catholic cruises past No. 4 Riverview
- GCC girls expect more after reaching WPIAL semifinals last year
- Daily News high school roundup: Serra Catholic girls earn nonsection win
- Greensburg Salem’s Oberdorf on early-season scoring binge
- Young Charleroi races past Waynesburg
- Several A-K Valley basketball schools face new surroundings this season
- High school basketball notebook: Plum grad Cressler returns as volunteer assistant for Knoch
- Greensburg high school roundup: No. 3 Norwin girls take down No. 1 North Allegheny
- Roundup: Cal turns showdown into 63-36 blowout
- Uptempo style of play leads to strong start for Bishop Canevin boys
- Trib Cup: Winchester Thurston boys basketball motivated by playoff run