Charleroi to dedicate renovated gym, celebrate history
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Big doings are planned for Friday night at Charleroi High School's gymnasium.
Not only will there will be a girls'/boys' basketball doubleheader, the district will dedicate its renovated gym and new banners.
As part of the occasion, the district is also bringing back some of its past section championship boys' and girls' teams as part of the festivities.
Invited for the event are the boys' section champs from 1984, 1989 and 1996 and girls' section champs from 1987, 1990 and 2000.
In addition, Charleroi Athletic Director Bill Wiltz said all boys' and girls' 1,000-point scorers are also invited back and will be recognized.
New banners for the section champions, as well as the 1,000-point scorers will be hung in the gym.
Wiltz said the district has tried to reach out to all the people included in the above lists.
“We are certain that some team members and coaches may have been missed due to address changes,” Wiltz said. “All team members who did not get an invitation are certainly invited to attend (Friday).”
Wiltz said that response to the reunion has been “outstanding.”
“We were actually excited by the positive response. We are hopeful to have over 75 alumni returning,” he said.
There will be a pre-game reception for all the honored guests in the district's new alumni room. Along with on-court recognition of those returning, Wiltz said a post-game reunion is planned.
The gym was renovated in 2011 as part of a multi-million dollar construction project that included a new football stadium and a nearby auxiliary gymnasium.
The Charleroi girls (13-6, 8-2) will play Burgettstown (1-16, 1-8) in the 6 p.m. opener in a Section 5 AA game and the Charleroi boys (10-6, 8-2) will square off with Frazier (4-10, 2-6) in a Section 5 AA battle at 7:30 p.m.
“We hope as many fans as possible show up to not only support our teams, but also to enjoy our facilities and help honor our past section champions during this festive occasion,” Wiltz said.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Thomas Jefferson girls bring hard-nosed play, intangibles to the court
- Wildcats return their core
- Mt. Pleasant girls basketball coach eager to start season with versatile team
- Kittanning boys basketball shoots for 4th straight playoff trip in program’s final season
- Class AAAA boys basketball preview: After 1st playoff win since 2003, Hempfield boys hope to advance in postseason
- Thomas Jefferson boys basketball team has high expectations
- After struggling in Class AA, Serra boys basketball welcomes move down in classification
- Class AAAA girls basketball preview: Penn-Trafford welcomes doubters as it begins WPIAL title defense
- Kiski Area boys ready for encore
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- Gateway girls again the hunters in section race