Charleroi to dedicate renovated gym, celebrate history
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Big doings are planned for Friday night at Charleroi High School's gymnasium.
Not only will there will be a girls'/boys' basketball doubleheader, the district will dedicate its renovated gym and new banners.
As part of the occasion, the district is also bringing back some of its past section championship boys' and girls' teams as part of the festivities.
Invited for the event are the boys' section champs from 1984, 1989 and 1996 and girls' section champs from 1987, 1990 and 2000.
In addition, Charleroi Athletic Director Bill Wiltz said all boys' and girls' 1,000-point scorers are also invited back and will be recognized.
New banners for the section champions, as well as the 1,000-point scorers will be hung in the gym.
Wiltz said the district has tried to reach out to all the people included in the above lists.
“We are certain that some team members and coaches may have been missed due to address changes,” Wiltz said. “All team members who did not get an invitation are certainly invited to attend (Friday).”
Wiltz said that response to the reunion has been “outstanding.”
“We were actually excited by the positive response. We are hopeful to have over 75 alumni returning,” he said.
There will be a pre-game reception for all the honored guests in the district's new alumni room. Along with on-court recognition of those returning, Wiltz said a post-game reunion is planned.
The gym was renovated in 2011 as part of a multi-million dollar construction project that included a new football stadium and a nearby auxiliary gymnasium.
The Charleroi girls (13-6, 8-2) will play Burgettstown (1-16, 1-8) in the 6 p.m. opener in a Section 5 AA game and the Charleroi boys (10-6, 8-2) will square off with Frazier (4-10, 2-6) in a Section 5 AA battle at 7:30 p.m.
“We hope as many fans as possible show up to not only support our teams, but also to enjoy our facilities and help honor our past section champions during this festive occasion,” Wiltz said.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- West Mifflin Area moves to issue iPad minis to sixth-graders
- Starkey: Patriots’ legacy forever stained
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- BNY Mellon promotes executive
- Millions to travel through Western Pa. during Memorial Day weekend
- Developer hopes to make Allegheny Center a tech hub
- Plum witnesses seen entering grand jury building in Dormont
- Pileup sends 2 to hospital, shuts down highway
- Obama trade bill advances in Senate