Charleroi to dedicate renovated gym, celebrate history
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Big doings are planned for Friday night at Charleroi High School's gymnasium.
Not only will there will be a girls'/boys' basketball doubleheader, the district will dedicate its renovated gym and new banners.
As part of the occasion, the district is also bringing back some of its past section championship boys' and girls' teams as part of the festivities.
Invited for the event are the boys' section champs from 1984, 1989 and 1996 and girls' section champs from 1987, 1990 and 2000.
In addition, Charleroi Athletic Director Bill Wiltz said all boys' and girls' 1,000-point scorers are also invited back and will be recognized.
New banners for the section champions, as well as the 1,000-point scorers will be hung in the gym.
Wiltz said the district has tried to reach out to all the people included in the above lists.
“We are certain that some team members and coaches may have been missed due to address changes,” Wiltz said. “All team members who did not get an invitation are certainly invited to attend (Friday).”
Wiltz said that response to the reunion has been “outstanding.”
“We were actually excited by the positive response. We are hopeful to have over 75 alumni returning,” he said.
There will be a pre-game reception for all the honored guests in the district's new alumni room. Along with on-court recognition of those returning, Wiltz said a post-game reunion is planned.
The gym was renovated in 2011 as part of a multi-million dollar construction project that included a new football stadium and a nearby auxiliary gymnasium.
The Charleroi girls (13-6, 8-2) will play Burgettstown (1-16, 1-8) in the 6 p.m. opener in a Section 5 AA game and the Charleroi boys (10-6, 8-2) will square off with Frazier (4-10, 2-6) in a Section 5 AA battle at 7:30 p.m.
“We hope as many fans as possible show up to not only support our teams, but also to enjoy our facilities and help honor our past section champions during this festive occasion,” Wiltz said.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kittanning senior Kunst shoots lights out at Cager Classic skills event
- Cager Classic notebook: Highlands, Mars players bury hatchet for the weekend
- PIAA committee wants to revive western final
- Basketball all-stars delay hanging up sneakers
- Seton-La Salle coach’s system validated with back-to-back berths in WPIAL finals
- Monessen-Jeannette: Who gets the gold?
- Successful run ends for Elizabeth Forward in PIAA’s 1st round
- Aliquippa boys’ bid for undefeated season ends with loss in PIAA Class AA title game
- Blackhawk girls beat Archbishop Wood, defend PIAA hoops title
- Plum seniors look forward to Cager Classic
- High school basketball notebook: Aliquippa motivated by loss in PIAA title game