High school roundup: Steel Valley boys inch closer to playoff spot
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Steel Valley inched closer to securing a playoff spot with a convincing 86-37 Section 4-AAA win at Belle Vernon. It was Steel Valley's third straight win as the Ironmen (11-6, 5-4) moved a game ahead of East Allegheny for third place in the section.
Dom Keyes led the way for Steel Valley with 26 points and 17 rebounds, and teammate Ajan Smith chipped in with 13.
Steel Valley led, 25-10, after the first quarter and 46-26 at the half.
Serra Catholic 53, Springdale 49 — Joe Satira and George Prota scored 13 points as the Eagles (13-4, 6-3) held off Springdale for the Section 3-AA win. Charlie Guy scored 29 for Springdale. Serra clinched a playoff spot with the victory.
Clairton 56, Ma pletown 27 — Clairton (10-5, 7-0) led, 40-7, at halftime and clinched a playoff spot out of Section 3-A with a convincing home win. Bryon Clifford led all scorers with 16, and Damon Flowers added 13.
Franklin Regional 65, Norwin 56 — Matt Stewart scored 20, but Norwin dropped a nonsection game against Franklin Regional. Tyler Hamilton led the Panthers with 19.
Yough 73, Southmoreland 62 — Dom Miele scored 22 points and grabbed 15 rebounds, while Josh Sterner added 17 points and dished out 11 assists as Yough (7-12, 4-6) kept Southmoreland (0-17, 0-10) winless with a Section 3-AAA victory.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Chartiers Valley boys basketball competes, bonds in Arizona
- Plum grad Cressler makes coaching debut
- Jeannette junior Schmidt has sights set high
- Harris develops into team leader for Gateway boys
- Plum boys win section opener, girls fall to Fox Chapel
- Fox Chapel’s Urso adjusts quickly between football, basketball
- Perz providing Norwin boys basketball a scoring spark
- Uptempo style of play leads to strong start for Bishop Canevin boys
- Injuries won’t dash South Fayette girls basketball’s hopes
- Franklin Regional boys weather tough losses
- Quaker Valley girls basketball poised to win now