High school roundup: Steel Valley boys inch closer to playoff spot
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Steel Valley inched closer to securing a playoff spot with a convincing 86-37 Section 4-AAA win at Belle Vernon. It was Steel Valley's third straight win as the Ironmen (11-6, 5-4) moved a game ahead of East Allegheny for third place in the section.
Dom Keyes led the way for Steel Valley with 26 points and 17 rebounds, and teammate Ajan Smith chipped in with 13.
Steel Valley led, 25-10, after the first quarter and 46-26 at the half.
Serra Catholic 53, Springdale 49 — Joe Satira and George Prota scored 13 points as the Eagles (13-4, 6-3) held off Springdale for the Section 3-AA win. Charlie Guy scored 29 for Springdale. Serra clinched a playoff spot with the victory.
Clairton 56, Mapletown 27 — Clairton (10-5, 7-0) led, 40-7, at halftime and clinched a playoff spot out of Section 3-A with a convincing home win. Bryon Clifford led all scorers with 16, and Damon Flowers added 13.
Franklin Regional 65, Norwin 56 — Matt Stewart scored 20, but Norwin dropped a nonsection game against Franklin Regional. Tyler Hamilton led the Panthers with 19.
Yough 73, Southmoreland 62 — Dom Miele scored 22 points and grabbed 15 rebounds, while Josh Sterner added 17 points and dished out 11 assists as Yough (7-12, 4-6) kept Southmoreland (0-17, 0-10) winless with a Section 3-AAA victory.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hempfield boys take aim at 5th straight section title
- Leechburg girls set out to build on breakout season
- TJ girls basketball to feature 10 enthusiastic underclassmen
- Greensburg Salem boys hope to build on trip to WPIAL postseason
- Leechburg boys set to go up-tempo
- Mt. Pleasant girls basketball to rely on experience
- Mon Valley hoops teams begin preparation
- Knoch girls seek dividends of experience
- Fox Chapel girls aim to to stay healthy
- Elizabeth Forward boys basketball preparing to fill big shoes
- Sewickley Academy boys to stay up-tempo