High school roundup: Patterson scores 1,000th, but South Allegheny loses
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jaylee Patterson scored her 1,000th career point, but South Allegheny (7-12, 2-8) was eliminated from playoff contention Thursday when it dropped a 48-37 Section 3-AA decision to visiting Riverview.
Patterson came into the game needing 15 points to reach the milestone and scored all 15 on 3-pointers.
Sadie Buchser led Riverview (12-7, 6-5) with 21 points.
Belle Vernon 55, Thomas Jefferson 41 — Belle Vernon used a 13-3 fourth quarter to blow open a close game to remain in second place in Section 4-AAA.
Jessica Slagus scored 19 points and grabbed 12 rebounds, while Kaitlyn Slagus added 16 and 11 for the Leopards (14-4, 8-2). Alexis Yanief paced Thomas Jefferson (7-12, 4-6) with 18, and Courtney Zoglmann had 14.
West Mifflin 64, Waynesburg 25 — West Mifflin clinched a playoff spot out of Section 4-AAA with a convincing road win. The Titans outscored Waynesburg, 25-0, on the third quarter. Paige Flore scored 18, Taylor Thomas 14 and Alyssa Cairns 12 for the Titans (8-11, 7-4).
Steel Valley 44, Fort Cherry 36 — Visiting Steel Valley (13-6, 7-3) used a 17-8 fourth quarter to clinch a playoff spot out of Section 4-AA. CeCe Dixon scored a game-high 15, while Caylee Labishak added 10.
Shady Side Academy 57, East Allegheny 26 — Kaitlyn Keenan's 15 points weren't enough as East Allegheny (1-16, 0-10) remained winless in Section 3-AA. Shady Side Academy (7-11, 5-6) got 18 points and 15 rebounds from Audrey Koi.
Norwin 66, Laurel Highlands 23 — Mariana Gribble scored 14 and Rachel Keto 11 as Norwin (11-9, 9-3) won its third consecutive Section 1-AAAA game and kept Laurel Highlands (0-19, 0-11) winless.
Indiana 59, Yough 16 — Yough (7-13, 2-9) got outscored, 17-0, in the first quarter in dropping a Section 3-AAA contest. Indiana (13-6, 8-2) was led by Audrey Stapleton's 22.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in preseason loss at Bills
- Burnett targets mid-Sept. return, Glasnow unlikely to get call
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Pennsylvania welfare employees targeted in crackdown
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Penn Hills fire displaces 10
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Hackers have wide reach