High school roundup: Big second period leads Kittanning hockey team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
One period of major offensive production turned an otherwise close Class A hockey game into a lopsided affair for Kittanning on Thursday night.
Kittanning's five-goal second period made the difference in its 7-2 home win over Deer Lakes at the Belmont Complex. The teams were tied, 1-1, after the first period.
Christian Miller's three goals and three assists fueled the Wildcats (11-4-1), who also benefitted from four-point performances by Hunter Grafton (one goal, three assists) and Cody Toy (two goals, two assists).
Cameron Langham made 17 saves for Kittanning, while Lucas Gapsky and Jonathan Lang combined for 12 stops for Deer Lakes (6-10-1).
Freeport 2, Westmont Hilltop 1 — Brendon Zack scored twice in the third period to secure a Class A comeback win for Freeport (12-3-1), which allowed a goal five minutes into the game.
Michael Frazetta and Nicholas Rusak earned assists for the Yellowjackets, and Dom Digiacobbe made 13 saves.
Sebastian Ragno made 25 saves for Westmont Hilltop (9-5-1).
Ford City 13, Frazier 0 — Jesse Valasek scored three goals, and three others had two for Ford City (12-2-1) in the Open Class victory.
Valasek finished with seven points, while Josh Oliver tallied six assists. Luke Gross, Cody Atherton and Robert Kinsey each scored twice during three-point performances.
Chance McClaine recorded the shutout with six saves, and Noah Santo made 37 stops for Frazier (3-13).
Deer Lakes 50, West Shamokin 44 — Jill Glover scored 29 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead West Shamokin (11-9, 4-5), which trailed by 14 at halftime but cut the deficit to two points at one point in the second half of the Section 1-AA game. Kelly Clowser added nine points.
Becca Babincak paced Deer Lakes (15-2, 7-1) with 23 points.
Burrell 75, Apollo-Ridge 35 — Outscored, 20-7, in the first quarter of the Section 1-AA game, Apollo-Ridge (10-9, 2-7) struggled to stay close to Burrell (15-2, 8-0) from the get-go. Julia Demeno scored 11 points to lead the Vikings.
Winchester Thurston 55, Leechburg 51 — Ben Ritchie and Randy Smail combined for 28 points and seven 3-pointers, but the Blue Devils (7-10, 2-5) still fell in the Section 4-A home game.
Jacob Iellimo added 10 points and 13 rebounds for Leechburg, which trailed, 29-13, at halftime.
Max Calhoun led Winchester Thurston (3-11, 1-6) with 26 points.
Apollo-Ridge 52, Derry 49 — Alex Smith scored a game-high 17 points for Apollo-Ridge (13-5) in the nonsection win at Derry (9-9).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: WPIAL coaches reach milestone victories
- Jayhawks cruise past Saints on senior night
- Defensive strategy sparks New Castle in win over Ambridge
- Greensburg high school roundup: Greensburg Salem edges West Shamokin
- Penn-Trafford boosts playoff hopes with win at Connellsville
- Trib Cup: Baldwin girls basketball team stands by motto
- High school basketball notebook: Playoff picture comes into focus
- Underclassmen standouts help Sewickley Academy
- Bunting’s late steal, free throw lift Mt. Pleasant past Yough
- Area basketball teams embrace opportunities to play for championships
- Connellsville girls fall short against Penn-Trafford