High school roundup: East Allegheny boys close in on playoff spot
TribLIVE Sports Videos
East Allegheny's boys basketball team hasn't qualified for the WPIAL playoffs since 1997.
That can change within the next week, especially after Friday's 73-58 Section 4-AAA win over Ringgold.
East Allegheny moved into a third-place tie with Steel Valley. The two teams meet Friday with the winner qualifying for the playoffs.
EA broke open a tight game by outscoring Ringgold, 39-24, in the decisive second half.
Jordan William scored 22, Joel Randolph 21, Shawn Adair 13 and Malik Pope 11 for East Allegheny (10-9, 5-5).
Clairton 77, Avella 36 — Clairton inched closer to claiming at least a piece of the Section 3-A title with an easy home win over Avella (2-16, 0-8). Bryon Clifford scored 20 and Damond Flowers 12 for the Bears (11-5, 8-0). A win over visiting Geibel Tuesday will give Clairton at least a share of the section championship.
Franklin Regional 60, McKeesport 50 — McKeesport (12-6, 8-4) fell into fourth place in Section 2-AAAA with a road loss at Franklin Regional (10-10, 4-8). Four Panthers scored in double figures led by George Brown's 12. Jamie Grayson led McKeesport with 11.
Thomas Jefferson 63, Belle Vernon 38 — Thomas Jefferson had little problem with Belle Vernon in a Section 4-AAA game. Joe Carroll scored 16 and Chase Winovich 10 for the Jaguars (14-6, 10-0).
Norwin 54, Albert Gallatin 17 — Norwin (9-9, 6-4) led, 20-0, after the first quarter en route to an easy Section 1-AAAA win. Zach Bryan was the high scorer for Norwin with eight points.
Shady Side Academy 73, Serra Catholic 48 — Shady Side Academy (8-12, 6-5) climbed within a half game of Serra Catholic (13-5, 6-4) in Section 3-AA with the upset win. Asron Horne led Shady Side Academy with 21, while George Prota paced Serra with 16.
South Allegheny 48, Riverview 34 — Kordell Thompson and Derrick Vargo scored 12 points apiece for South Allegheny in a Section 3-AA win over Riverview. South Allegheny (7-13, 3-7) outscored Riverview, 26-15, in the second half to pull away. Shane Scott, Jason Anthony, and Nick DiBucci all scored eight points apiece for the Raiders (5-14, 2-9).
Franklin Regional 56, McKeesport 40 — McKeesport (6-13, 0-10) lost its eighth straight game to stay winless in Section 2-AAAA with a loss at Franklin Regional (9-10, 4-6). T.T. Burke led McKeesport with 18, and teammate Kasey Dansak added 12.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL finalists feature skilled scorers, playmakers on perimeter
- Sophomore stars carry Beaver Falls to 3rd finals appearance in 4 seasons
- High school roundup: Mt. Lebanon boys oust Hempfield
- Late-blooming Penn Hills girls restoring WPIAL championship glory
- Trib Cup: South Park girls look ahead to PIAA tournament
- Monessen-Jeannette: Who gets the gold?
- Gorman: Constantino clutch for NA
- Fueled by comeback victories, Class A finalists Jeannette, Monessen set for showdown
- Highlands can’t recover from turnovers in playoff loss to South Fayette
- Big start carries Cal into state playoffs
- Nine Leps still alive in WPIAL championships