Local roundup: Ford City boys, girls post sweep
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Three players scored in double figures to “propel” Ford City's boys basketball team to a non-section victory on Saturday.
The Sabers rallied to snap a four-game losing streak with a 67-57 victory over visiting Propel Andrew Street. They trailed, 19-9, after the first quarter and 27-26 at the half.
Jesse Sequeira scored a team-high 21 points, while David Lattanzio and
Brandon Heilman added 17 and 11 points, respectively, for Ford City (5-14).
Isaiah Adams led Propel Andrew Street with 29 points.
Gateway 57, Plum 40 — Gateway (13-4, 10-2) put together a 9-3 run coming out of halftime and forced Plum to commit 27 turnovers in a Section 2-AAAA win over the Mustangs (9-10, 5-7).
Delvon Randall scored all 11 of his points in the second half for the Gators. Teammate Tommy Kromka added 10 points.
Nick Stotler had 10 points and five rebounds for Plum, which hit five 3-pointers.
Cheswick Christian Academy 66, First Baptist 23 — Antione Malloy scored 18 points, JaJuan Malloy added 13 and Andrew Maust had 10 to lead the Chargers (15-5, 9-0 SWCAC) to their 10th straight win.
Ford City 63, Propel Andrew Street 26 — Ford City built a 33-11 halftime lead and cruised to a non-section win. Allyson Cujas led the Sabers with 21
points, and Christina Davis registered 10 points, seven rebounds and six assists.
Kittanning 31, St. Joseph 25 — Emily Knepshield led the way with 13 points as Class-AAA Kittanning (9-12) defeated the Class-A Spartans (10-11) in a non-section matchup to snap a four-game losing streak. Mallory Heinle scored 18 for St. Joseph.
Both teams have qualified for the WPIAL playoffs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lowly job likely awaits former Pittsburgh police Chief Harper on release from prison
- Sharpsburg marina home to pontoon boat rental company
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- With hung jury, feds set to retry murder suspect Korey
- Mt. Lebanon, Hampton capture WPIAL boys lacrosse titles
- Hempfield pair caught in vehicle scam
- Fox Chapel, Ambridge capture WPIAL volleyball titles
- Pirates notebook: Stewart, Cole develop rapport
- Daily News League roundup: Nusser’s no-hitter leads Clancy’s to win
- WPIAL players take control of early rounds at PIAA tennis tournament
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak