Local roundup: Apollo-Ridge boys down Penns Mannor
TribLIVE Sports Videos
On a night dedicated to a charitable cause, Apollo-Ridge's boys basketball team displayed its ability to share during a nonsection win over Penns Manor.
The Vikings (14-6) beat Penns Manor, 61-41, to cap a four-game “Orange Out” event that raised money for multiple sclerosis research. Ten players scored for Apollo-Ridge, which led, 32-15, at halftime.
Josh Reynolds scored a team-high 13 points, and Cody Billingsley added 11.
Mars 73, Freeport 47 — Mars (16-3, 10-0) avoided a brief upset bid by Freeport (8-9, 3-7), which led, 17-14, after the first quarter of the Section 1-AAA game.
Matt Getsy scored 19 points to lead a trio of players with double-digit totals for the Planets.
Robbie Miller finished with 18 points for Freeport, and Josh Beale added 11.
Ford City 58, Leechburg 9 — Allyson Cujas scored 15 points, Christina Davis added nine and Bethany Meyer and Mya Gladysiewski followed with eight each for Ford City (13-7, 5-4) in the Section 1-AA blowout.
Leechburg (0-20, 0-10) scored seven of its nine points in the first half.
Ford City has won five in a row.
Burrell 56, West Shamokin 27 — Jill Glover led West Shamokin (11-10, 4-6) with 17 points in a Section 1-AA loss.
Sydney Bordonaro topped the three double-digit scorers for Burrell (17-2, 9-0) with 19 points.
Penns Manor 65, Apollo-Ridge 52 — Ashley Emminger had 13 points, and Claire Broman and Julia DeMeno each added 12 for Apollo-Ridge (10-10) in a nonsection loss.
Krista Gillo piled up 30 points for Penns Manor.
Hampton 62, Freeport 11 — Hampton (16-4, 11-0) led, 11-4, after the first quarter and 31-5 at halftime in the Section 1-AAA contest. Sara Pilarski had 21 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks for the Talbots.
Zoe Soilis and Macy Smolic each had 4 points for Freeport (7-12, 5-6).
Freeport 5, Deer Lakes 3 — Michael Frazetta scored to tie the game, 1-1, late in the first period and then netted the go-ahead goal midway through the second period for Freeport (13-3-1), which matched a third-period rally by Deer Lakes (6-11-1) with two goals of its own.
Cole Hepler had four assists for the Yellowjackets, and Greg Newman and Brendon Zack each finished with a goal and two assists.
Dom Digiacobbe made 23 saves for Freeport, while Jonathan Lang had 25 for Deer Lakes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- At least $100,000 in appliances stolen from new homes around Western Pa.
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action
- Corbett: Downtown project will ‘make a huge difference’ in Pittsburgh
- Arnold man charged after 20-mile chase
- No one way to fix Western Pennsylvania’s heroin problem, report says
- Gunfire plagues New Kensington