Local reports: Turnovers costly to West Mifflin girls basketball team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Mifflin is still attempting to put things together as it moves into the stretch run to the playoffs. But if the Titans showed anything in their 45-29 nonsection loss to Class AAAA Gateway, it was that they need to hold onto the ball a little better.
In the second quarter, West Mifflin (8-12) held a 14-11 lead but allowed Gateway (16-4) to come back thanks to several key turnovers midway through the period. Because of the Titans' mishandling of the ball, they scored just four points in the quarter fell into a 24-14 hole at intermission.
Guard Paige Flore led West Mifflin with 10 points.
Greensburg Central Catholic 63, East Allegheny 22 — Carolyn Appleby had 15 points to lead Greensburg Central Catholic (15-5, 10-1) to a Section 3-AA win. Katlyn Keenan scored 11 of the Wildcats' 22 points.
Seton-La Salle 81, Steel Valley 37 — Nicolette Newman scored a game-high 24 points and had 11 steals for Class AA No. 1 Seton-La Salle (19-1, 11-0) in Section 4. Sydney Smith led the Ironmen with 12 points.
Serra Catholic 66, Winchester Thurston 23 — Megan Sieg scored a game-high 13 points to lead the Eagles (17-2, 9-0) to a win over Winchester Thurston (10-8, 5-4) The Eagles have clinched the Section 4-A title.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ford City boys basketball coach brings winning personality for final season
- East Allegheny boys basketball team ready for fresh start in Class AA
- East Allegheny girls basketball team embraces new outlook
- Ford City girls basketball aims to close program on top
- Fox Chapel boys basketball team will rely on rotation for scoring
- McKeesport girls basketball team healthy, anxious to start new season
- Athletic McKeesport boys basketball team features new coach, up-tempo style
- New Foxes girls coach O’Shea inherits talented team
- Deer Lakes boys move into tough Class AAA section
- 6-foot-8 transfer bolsters Cheswick Christian boys lineup
- Deer Lakes girls basketball set for AAA competition