Local reports: Turnovers costly to West Mifflin girls basketball team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Mifflin is still attempting to put things together as it moves into the stretch run to the playoffs. But if the Titans showed anything in their 45-29 nonsection loss to Class AAAA Gateway, it was that they need to hold onto the ball a little better.
In the second quarter, West Mifflin (8-12) held a 14-11 lead but allowed Gateway (16-4) to come back thanks to several key turnovers midway through the period. Because of the Titans' mishandling of the ball, they scored just four points in the quarter fell into a 24-14 hole at intermission.
Guard Paige Flore led West Mifflin with 10 points.
Greensburg Central Catholic 63, East Allegheny 22 — Carolyn Appleby had 15 points to lead Greensburg Central Catholic (15-5, 10-1) to a Section 3-AA win. Katlyn Keenan scored 11 of the Wildcats' 22 points.
Seton-La Salle 81, Steel Valley 37 — Nicolette Newman scored a game-high 24 points and had 11 steals for Class AA No. 1 Seton-La Salle (19-1, 11-0) in Section 4. Sydney Smith led the Ironmen with 12 points.
Serra Catholic 66, Winchester Thurston 23 — Megan Sieg scored a game-high 13 points to lead the Eagles (17-2, 9-0) to a win over Winchester Thurston (10-8, 5-4) The Eagles have clinched the Section 4-A title.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crop of young players bodes well for Springdale boys basketball team
- Franklin Regional girls respond quickly to new coach
- Woodland Hills’ plan starts to come together
- Connellsville girls ready to compete for playoffs spot
- WPIAL Class AAA girls basketball preview: South Fayette using title-game defeat as motivation
- WPIAL Class AAA boys basketball preview: Experienced lineup has Mars among title contenders
- New coach ready to get started with Gateway girls basketball
- Franklin Regional boys basketball enters the season battle-tested
- Springdale girls seeking fresh start after 0-19 year
- Gateway boys basketball looking to get defensive
- Steel Valley boys put focus back on basketball