Local roundup: Freeport girls earn tie for third in section
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport's girls basketball team put itself in position to earn a better WPIAL Class AAA playoff seed Thursday night.
The Yellowjackets (8-12, 6-6) topped Highlands, 52-31, to finish in a tie with Kittanning for third place in Section 1-AAA. Kittanning and Freeport split their series this season.
Jessica Aulicino scored 18 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for Freeport. Macy Smolic finished with 11 points, and Michaela Bowser had eight points and 11 rebounds.
Carly Hines led Highlands (1-17, 0-12) with 14 points.
Hampton 49, Kittanning 40 — Kittanning (9-13, 6-6) became the first Section 1-AAA opponent to finish within 10 points of Hampton (17-4, 12-0).
Apollo-Ridge 40, Ford City 33 — Apollo-Ridge (11-10, 3-8) jumped out to a 12-6 lead in the first quarter and increased the margin to eight by halftime. Ford City (13-8, 5-5) cut the deficit to one by the end of the third quarter in the Seciton 1-AA game.
Julia Demeno scored 15 points, and Claire Broman added 12 for the Lady Vikings.
Allyson Cujas finished with a team-high 12 points for Ford City.
Kittanning 11, Bishop McCort 1 — Kittanning (12-4-1) trailed early in the game and was tied with Bishop McCort (2-16) for more than half the second period. The Wildcats then scored six goals in five minutes to turn the Class A game into a rout.
Hunter Grafton finished with four goals and two assists, Christian Miller had three and three, and Cody Toy had one and three for Kittanning.
Cameron Langham made 15 saves for the Wildcats, and R.J. Slifko had 14 for Bishop McCort.
Ford City 7, Altoona 1 — Robert Kinsey scored twice and earned two assists for Ford City (13-2-1), while Luke Gross added a goal and two assists in the Open Class contest.
Adam Cogley made 19 saves for the Sabers, and Catcher Cumming stopped 45 shots for Altoona (8-10).
Quaker Valley 8, Freeport 0 — Jimmy Perkins scored four goals to lead an offensive onslaught for Quaker Valley (17-0) in Class A play. Parker Sherry earned the shutout with 18 saves.
Dominic Digiacobbe and Matt Huston combined to make 29 saves for host Freeport (13-4-1).
Freeport tops Deer Lakes — Both Freeport's boys and girls swim teams defeated Deer Lakes in a Section 3-AA match up, with the boys winning, 65-40, and the girls, 77-63. Tyler Ben finished first in the 100-yard backstroke and 100 butterfly, and he belonged to the winning 400 freestyle and 200 medley relay teams. For the girls, Zoe Pawlak won the 200 individual medley, the 100 freestyle, and was part of the winning 400 freestyle and 200-yard medley relay teams.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- High school roundup: No. 4 Bethel Park boys edge USC
- Several A-K Valley basketball schools face new surroundings this season
- Greensburg Salem’s Oberdorf on early-season scoring binge
- GCC girls expect more after reaching WPIAL semifinals last year
- Greensburg high school roundup: No. 3 Norwin girls take down No. 1 North Allegheny
- High school roundup: No. 2 CW North Catholic cruises past No. 4 Riverview
- Roundup: Cal turns showdown into 63-36 blowout
- Young Charleroi races past Waynesburg
- Harris develops into team leader for Gateway boys
- High school basketball notebook: Plum grad Cressler returns as volunteer assistant for Knoch