High school roundup: Leechburg stops losing skid
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Leechburg's boys basketball team snapped a four-game losing streak Friday, a development that might help the Blue Devils as they head into the WPIAL Class A playoffs next week.
Behind a big performance from Jake Iellimo, Leechburg topped St. Joseph, 64-59, in its Section 4-A finale.
Iellimo finished with a game-high 26 points and 15 rebounds for the Blue Devils (8-12, 3-7), who trailed, 26-24, at halftime.
Randy Smail added 14 points, including nine on 3-pointers. Chris Swank had 10. John Arcuri led St. Joseph (9-13, 4-6) with 21 points.
Leechburg finished section play in fifth place, but because section leader Imani Christian is ineligible for the postseason, the Blue Devils get in.
Apollo-Ridge 52, Ford City 51 — Up, 25-21, at halftime and down by six after three quarters, Ford City (6-15, 2-8) almost pulled off a fourth-quarter comeback against host Apollo-Ridge (15-6, 5-5), which, with the win, finished in a tie with West Shamokin for third in Section 1-AA.
David Lattanzio scored 17 points, and Jesse Sequeira added 11 for Ford City.
Lucas Burrell led Apollo-Ridge with 10.
Freeport 66, Highlands 63 (OT) — Freeport survived a Section 1-AAA scare at home by rallying after trailing, 26-20, at halftime. Robbie Miller scored a game-high 23 points for the Yellowjackets (9-10, 4-8), while Brendan Lynch and Josh Beale followed with 21 and 12, respectively.
Aquelay Frison led a foursome of double-digit scorers for Highlands (1-21, 1-11) with 16 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Grodz resigns as Charleroi Area coach
- Bordonaro boosts East girls to 79-72 victory in Cager Classic
- Seton-La Salle girls win, reach PIAA title game
- Vincentian girls headed back to PIAA finals
- Defending champs Blackhawk, Seton-La Salle, Vincentian to face familiar foes in PIAA title games
- Kittanning senior Kunst shoots lights out at Cager Classic skills event
- Cager Classic notebook: Highlands, Mars players bury hatchet for the weekend
- Teams set mark for 3-pointers as East boys nip West, 110-109, in Cager Classic
- High school roundup: Blackhawk girls return to title game
- Motivated by pregame speech, Aliquippa ‘rings’ up victory
- Trib Cup: Allderdice reflects on fairy-tale season