High school roundup: EF boys headed back to playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Elizabeth Forward boys basketball team qualified for the WPIAL Class AAA playoffs for the second consecutive year with a 74-69 win over host Belle Vernon on Friday.
The win put Elizabeth Forward (12-9, 6-6) in a three-way tie for third place in Section 4-AAA with Steel Valley and East Allegheny. All three teams split their meetings this year and qualified for the playoffs.
JaQuan Davidson scored 24, Matt Bernadowski 15 and Austin Matta 14 for EF. Belle Vernon got 19 from Jesse Kallam.
Norwin 66, Pe nn-Trafford 6 1 — Norwin knocked rival Penn-Trafford out of playoff contention in Section 1-AAAA. Curtis Perz scored 23, Matt Stewart 18 and Nick Idele 17 for the Knights (12-9, 8-4). Penn-Trafford (13-8, 6-6) got 15 points from Dorian Stevens.
Gateway 63, McKeesp ort 6 1 — McKeesport's fourth-quarter rally came up short, and the Tigers fell into fourth place in Section 2-AAAA with the road loss. Gateway (14-5, 11-3) outscored McKeesport, 20-16, in the decisive final quarter.
Delvon Randle led all scorers with 24 for Gateway while Jamie Grayson (16), Damonje Walker (11), Jordan Payne (10) and Matt Sutton (10) all hit double figures for McKeesport (13-7, 9-5)
South Allegheny 41, Serra Catholic 40 — South Allegheny outscored visiting Serra, 17-8, in the final quarter to come away with a Section 3-AA upset. Kordell Thompson scored 19 and Jeiron Lewis 11 for South Allegheny (8-14, 4-8). Serra (13-7, 6-6) got 12 from Max Kaminsky and 10 from Tyler Grebur.
The Eagles have lost five of their last six games after starting the season 12-2.
Penn Hills 99, Woodland H ills 81 — Penn Hills (5-16, 2-12) had five players in double figures, led by Deandre Schifino-Winbush's 24 and Willie James' 21, to give the Indians a Section 2-AAAA win. Charles Tarrant scored 26 and Ryan Thomas 25 for Woodland Hills (4-17, 0-14).
Gateway 57, McKees port 2 3 — Gateway (17-4, 10-2) got 14 points from Chelsea Richardson in a Section 2-AAAA win over McKeesport (6-15, 0-12).
Penn Hills 50, W oodland Hills 33 — Penn Hills (9-13, 5-7) clinched a playoff berth out of Section 2-AAAA with the home win. Gloria Schifino led Penn Hills with 19, while Delrika Jones-Kerry paced Woodland Hills (7-15, 3-9) with 21.
Penn-Trafford 51, Norwin 45 — Penn-Trafford (18-3, 12-2) got 18 points from Maria Palarino and 15 from Taylor Cortazzo as the Warriors (18-3, 12-2) won the Section 1-AAAA game. Madi Guffey scored 11 and Alayna Gribble 10 for Norwin (12-10, 10-4).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Serra Catholic’s Sieg learning to lead in senior season
- First quarter nightmare for Monessen
- No. 3 Greensburg Central Catholic hoping to avenge losses to No. 1 Burrell
- VND high school notebook: Injuries depleting Burrell girls basketball roster
- Top-ranked Burrell girls finding different ways to win
- Burrell’s role players deliver in victory over Apollo-Ridge
- Led by freshman Jurkovec, Pine-Richland chasing trip to playoffs
- HS highlight reel: Softball standouts make commitment to Marist
- High school roundup: Pine-Richland squad wins PIAA spirit title
- Neither coach happy after Monessen beats Avella by 90 points
- Plum’s Zezza gets milestone in loss